Accessorizing the Nucleus

Obviously we all have our opinions and favorites after years of trying to go where no one has gone before !!!

I am curious with the community on their opinions on 3 general items.

#1 What is your favorite hard drive to use inside a Nucleus?
#2 What is your favorite stand alone CD ripper to use with a nucleus
#3 What is your favorite NAS to use on the network for music storage.

I have my thoughts but they are formed from my experiences, and would love to hear yours!

I put this one in my Nucleus that I bought on black Friday. I don’t own much music of my own, so I don’t need much space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078DPCY3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. +1 on James’ drive recommendation I’ve used this same drive in at least 10 applications and never had one fail.

2. dB PowerAmp

3. Have not used any current NAS devices

Thanks for your thoughts James, Happy New year

1 Like

Thank you Michael, Happy New Year

I don’t have a Nucleus but a ROCK, use Samsung SSD for music storage, a cheap cd drive connected to the ROCK for cd ripping, I don’t use NAS for music it’s backup only music storage is the above SSD.

1. Samsung Evo, WD Black.
  2. It doesn’t matter. The ripping software matters more and Roon’s choices in how they did this so you simply want a decent reliable brand.
  3. Again it doesn’t matter. Choices are made with regards to size, space, noise etc. It should be transparent to Roon.

Samsung Evo have always been superb. As with any SSD, make sure never to fill it beyond the 2/3-3/4 mark. That will preserve it’s life and keep your system fast.

1. +1 on @Jim_F’s recommendation on SSD to use internally in the Nucleus+. It’s what I use with my Nucleus+. I’d recommend storing the music to play there. It provides optimal speed and removes one variable (the NAS) that can go wrong when playing music.

2. I don’t use the Nucleus for CD ripping. I rip on a Mac Pro via XLD which is my music master and where I do any necessary metadata / artwork editing via Yate. The music here gets synced automatically to my Nucleus+ SSD via Chronosync.

3. I have a Synology NAS DS3617xs which I use to store a backup of my music (it also get synced with my Mac Pro music master via Chronosync and I use Synology’s CloudSync to sync the music offsite to BackBlaze. This gives me the best environment to rip/edit metadata, optimal access speed for the music on my Nucleus+, multiple local copies of my music and an offsite copy - and yes, I’m a bit paranoid about losing files/work as I’ve done extensive meta data work and don’t want to lose it (every artist has a photo, every album has a cover, lyrics with almost all tracks with voice). I also use my NAS for Roon Backups from my Nucleus.

Thanks Craig, good info, very nice. Greatly appreciate your opinions.

1 Like