Activating HDMI on Sonicorbiter SE

Right now, I’m streaming 2-channel audio using a SOSE as the Roon endpoint while using my computer to stream multi-channel audio using Jriver directly into my processor via HDMI. It works great but I’d like to get the computer out of my audio chain but my processor/DAC can’t do multi-channel over USB, only over HDMI.

If there were a way to activate the HDMI port in the SOSE, that would eliminate the need for the PC in the chain. Can it be done?

Do you mean Sonicorbiter SE? What DAC do you have?

Yes, I mean the sonic orbiter SE. For 2-channel, I use an Oppo HA-1 and for multichannel, a Lexicon MC-12.

Does it show up as an output when you select the SOSE under audio devices? If it does, try enabling it.

To be clear, the SOSE works fine with Roon and Jriver via its USB output. What I’m asking about is enabling the HDMI port for use with a device that uses an HDMI input to receive multi-channel streams.

We looked into this and there might be a way to do it. However, in some quick tests it seems to break other features. It would need a lot of attention to make it work properly and we just don’t have the time right now.

Thanks Jesus. I’m OK in my main system anyway because I have my MacMini connected to my Pre/Pro over HDMI anyway for streaming movies, and that works fine for multi-channel streaming using Jriver too. I was just hoping to get the computer out of my rack.

Hi Jesus

Was there any progress on this?

I’m interested in a HDMI output (not I2S) Roon Endpoint, that supports 24/192 and DoP, for use with an AVR that doesn’t have USB input. The AVR only supports DSD over HDMI unfortunately (like most AVR’s at the moment).

I know DSD is not as popular as HiRes PCM but with DSD upsampling coming to Roon 1.3, a lot of people that have modern AVR’s would be able to use this upsampling if there was a Roon Endpoint that supported HDMI audio out.

Many thanks

You best bet is a USB to analog converter. Try an iFi iDSD.

Thanks Jesus. Only issue here is that most , if not all, AVRs will then convert this analogue input to digital, before D to A again.

A Roon Endpoint with HDMI output would be so great. Like if the Oppo 203 or 205 could become a Roon Endpoint I’d consider upgrading from the 103.

This is a quick changing area so I’ll keep an eye on this year

If you are feeling adventurous, you could take another SD card, flash Armbian to it and install RoonBridge as outlined here.

The HDMI output will be available. I have not idea whether it will perform satisfactory (or at all) with ALSA/RoonBridge - but it’ll take you no more than half an hour to find out.

Do not overwrite the card with the SonicOrbiter OS that’s currently inside your SOSE: it contains all the niceties, patches and tweaks that @Jesus_Rodriguez and team have lovingly prepared.

@Jesus_Rodriguez, I think you’re missing the point: this is a marketing opportunity. If the HDMI port on the SOSE could be made to work, then the millions of AVRs in the world will now be able to be used with Roon without the necessity of purchasing anything more than a cable. Also you could use players with HDMI inputs like those from Oppo. Plus, with Roon 1.3 being multichannel capable, if the HDMI port on the SOSE could be made to work, it would be one of the very few Roon endpoints capable of sending multichannel to an AVR or A/V pre/pro. IMO, if it can be done, it would be nuts not to.

Every receiver I have owned can be placed in by-pass mode.

I don’t like to recommend things I have not tried. For example will it play hi-res PCM and DSD? If so at what rates? If it supports DoP will your receiver also support DoP? I’m not aware of any receivers or DACs that support DoP via HDMI.

For Sean2016, the cost of finding out is a spare SD card and a bit of tinkering time on a rainy afternoon… :wink:

I understand that for Sonore more resources are involved for a proper implementation – and probably not worthwhile, given the limited application.

There are already two ways that you can use a Sonicorbiter SE with a receiver. 1. The Sonicorbiter SE has an optical output. This will not work with DoP, but I’m not convinced that your receiver will support it either. 2. If the receiver supports DLNA you could try our SonoreUPnP Bridge. Anyway, there are options.

Understood and very good points. My original question to you was progress with the HDMI out of the SonicO because I saw you mentioned it could possibly work but needs experimenting. Agreed though, it would be best to test a Dac at a dealer because it may not work. Also agree, all AVRs have a Direct type mode.

I did try a DSD download over DLNA, which works with 24/192 PCM with this Denon 4520. It didn’t work but the latest receivers do support DSD over DLNA so the Sonore UPNP bridge should be fantastic with new receivers.

You should know that most receivers that play DSD are actually converting to PCM internally. It’s a cleverly hidden fact. There is a long thread on one of the AV forums with lots of information.

To be clear Sonore UPNP Bridge sends DSD as DoP and there is currently no way around this.

@Jesus_Rodriguez I’m reopening this dialog because the change I’ve requested was once theoretical and is now actual and could make a nearly $4,000 savings in my system. Here’s the situation: now Roon is capable of doing multi-channel both PCM and DSD. There are presently only two ways to actually use Roon’s new multi-channel audio capability: (1) connect the HDMI output port on your computer to an HDMI input on a multichannel pre/pro, receiver or an Oppo 105/205 player or (2) purchase a multi-channel capable DAC that accepts miltichannel over USB and connect its analog outputs to one’s pre/pro or receiver. Choice 1 presents a host of problems inherent in connecting a computer directly to one’s audio system which is exactly what one is trying to avoid by using a networked endpoint like the SOSE. Choice 2 is only a problem in that there are only 3 DACs on the market that I am aware of that have this capability. The one I would pick is the new Exasound e38 that costs $3,849. There is another choice that costs much less that won’t do DSD and there is another that costs over $10K. If the HDMI port on the SOSE could be activated these problems would be instantaneously solved because one could then connect the SOSE via HDMI to an AV pre/pro or receiver such as my Marantz 8802A with its wonderful AK4490 DAC chip. That would eliminate the need to connect the computer to the preamp curing the noise issue and eliminate the need for an expensive additional multichannel capable DAC. If there is any way to make this happen, I implore you to consider doing it. I suspect that I am not the only person here who would welcome having this capability.