Active extra monitor + Dell laptop in clamshell mode, Roon crashes on startup

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

• Dell XPS 15 i9 (4k screen) running in clamshell mode
  • Dell runs the latest Windows 10 Version (10.0.19041 Build 19041)
  • External full hd Dell screen as main display (I.e. the lid of the Dell XPS is closed and the display is off)
  • Roon Core is running the latest version 1.7 build 571 on an Intel NUC (8th gen i5, 16 gb ram) running Manjaro xfce (latest version, kernel 5.6)
  • Roon on windows is also running the latest version. This version is used as the consuming client.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All the equipment runs over 1Gb ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Primary audio connection on the laptop and a connected Chord Mojo

Description Of Issue

When using the Dell XPS in closed (clamshell) mode, and I start Roon, during the splash screen the application crashes.

The below info I get from the Windows Event viewer

Application error

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5eea355c
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000
Faulting process id: 0x7cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6464351f70258
Faulting application path: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 30b99d7d-4d0f-4d29-9a1b-659225468f3b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

.NET Runtime error

Application: Roon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at Broo.Gdi.ChoosePixelFormat(IntPtr, PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR ByRef)
   at Broo.Engine.WglLoaderWindow.LoadWgl(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR ByRef, System.String ByRef)
   at Broo.Engine.GlWindow.InitializeContexts()
   at Broo.Engine.GlWindow..ctor(Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow)
   at Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow..ctor()
   at Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget..ctor(Broo.Engine.Window ByRef)
   at Broo.BrooLoader.Load(Boolean, System.String, System.String, System.String, Broo.Engine.Engine ByRef, Broo.Engine.Window ByRef, Broo.Engine.LoadContext ByRef, System.String ByRef)
   at Sooloos.Application.Main(System.String[])

This does not happen when the display of the Dell laptop is actually being used.

@support please see above. This is “easily” reproducible and if needed you can always contact me for help. Currently this situation is blocking me from using the Roon client while I’m working the whole day.

Thank you.

Hello @jeroendee and thanks for the detailed report! I have some questions for you:

1. Did this work without crashing before? Do you remember when it changed?
  2. Are your graphics drivers up to date? Windows updates done as well?
  3. Regarding the “clamshell mode” I take it you mean the laptop is closed. Does Roon work just fine when the laptop is open?

@nuwriy

1. Nope, in this setup it hasn’t worked ever. I’m in my trial period
  2. Yes my graphics drivers are up to date. Windows is also up to date.
  3. Indeed the laptop is closed. When the laptop is open, Roon is able to start.

Extra info, my laptop is connected to the Dell D6000 Universal Dock which uses DisplayLink.

Hint: It might have something to do with the difference in the display’s resolutions (1920 x 1080 vs. 3840 x 2160) in combination with the DisplayLink… On Roon startup it looks like graphics initialization generates an error…

If you need other logging or other info that might help, let me know.

Hello @jeroendee, thanks for testing that! You mentioned receiving an error on startup, can you send me a screenshot?

@nuwriy I already did. It’s the errors from the windows event viewer.

Visually, after startup you would see the following

• [click on roon app icon in order to startup the app]
  • splash screen incl. quote is displayed
  • after a few seconds the splash screen disappears (error has occured, and program is terminated)

So to be clear, there is NO graphical error shown to the end user.

As this situation is very annoying in my setup, is it possible for you to extend my trial period to be activated again after the 24th of july? During my holiday I don’t have access to Roon.

I’m willing to get a subscription the moment this is fixed (I’ve already had a subscription in the past, and am now willing to get a new one).

Extra info: my laptop has 2 graphics cards:

• Intel
  • Nvidia

Both drivers are up to date.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.