Active speakers best way to go today?

You misunderstand. I got my speakers in the optimal place for listening then tried Dirac on them in the same place. In my case it didn’t improve on what I heard without it.

OK. I have had a number of occasions in which the Dirac process yielded disappointing results but these are in the minority. Same for most other other automated RC applications.

OTOH, it is also possible that your set-up is quite optimized already but without sharing your experience, I cannot dispute (or confirm) your conclusions. They just do not accord with mine.

Fair enough. We are all individuals.

I loved my Dynaudio’s BM5 mkIII (still have them) until I listened to my recently delivered Genelec 8341A monitors, They are just in another league compared to any other active monitors I have ever owned.

DSP done well can elevate the performance of the “right” speakers even in a great-sounding room. Now that l’m using room correction convolution filters from Home Audio Fidelity for my Meridian active speakers, we are drowning in DSP and loving it.

2 Likes

Just wonder if Meridian has been slow to develope their speakers or they simply refuse to incorporate DSP. Are their speakers still among the best?

Um, Meridian were (I believe) the first to incorporate a DAC in active speakers and the first to use DSP. Over 30 years ago. All of their speakers in the last 20 years (with the exception of the M33 and M60 which might actually be older) use DSP. And yes, their speakers are still among the (very) best.

5 Likes

Oh dear, now I feel cheated. My old Meridian DSP5200’s do not include DSP? :wink:

I didn’t know they use DSP🙈, but how well do they (5200) compare today?

I can’t compare with more recent DSP speakers myself, but from what I understand from friends who can, they still sound remarkably good when compared, especially given their age!

I don’t think meridian would have the reputation that they have if they weren’t very good.

FWIW I moved away from a top end Meridian pre/power amp and B&W Signature speakers to much cheaper active speakers (with streamer) and have never looked back. I loved the passive set up, but my living room looked like a hifi shop (some people like that of course). Actives decluttered everything and the sound quality was easily as good (if not better). Introducing DSP (DIRAC) at a later stage further improved everything. Wouldn’t go back to a passive set up now, if only to avoid the ‘tinkering’ and endless ‘upgrading’ of components that used to take place.

2 Likes

I have a pair of original Meridian M30 active speakers plugged to a Bluesound Node 2i. They sound amazing still. No DSP - just analogue in and analogue out. I had them refurbished recently with new capacitors. Over 30 years old and sound as good/better than many modern speakers. Keep it pure.

Are you talking about speakers with build in streamer, in case which brand?

Of course they use DSP to drive the three amplifiers and speakers built in. External room correction from your processor (“MRC” most often from Meridian equipment) or through Roon is a different kettle of DSP fish. I prefer customized filters from HAF. https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/

2 Likes

No. Use AVI active speakers (built in DAC) and a subwoofer. Streamer is a MiniDSP SHD which also has Dirac DSP built in. Roon is main user interface.

1 Like

I once tried HAF but was not at all impressed, quite the contrary. I found MiniDSP Dirac to be much better. To each his own I guess.

If you are looking for active loudspeakers with inbuilt streaming, then Linn have a superb range. They’ve been doing active speakers with room correction and network streaming a lot longer than most.

I am 72 so my high range and low range frequency hearing is reduced from my younger days.

I use the Kef LS50w’s as my reference speakers. I find them as not too bass heavy but having surprising bass from drivers and not too pronounced treble(I have Salk Audio Song Towers with ribbon twitters also)

I guess you could say they have nice mid range to me.

Bottom line, I enjoy listening to a variety of music throughout them.

There is a newer model which has even better features and sound per reviews.

1 Like

Perhaps you should give HAF another try. I’ve been quite pleased with my filters.