Add a Track to a Composition

Is there a way to manually add a song to a composition?

For example, I have a number of cover versions of “Hotel California,” but only a few tracks in my library by that name are recognized as part of “Hotel California” by Frey/Henley/Felder. The tracks actually don’t display any composition at all, so I can’t merge them with the correct composition.

So I I can’t merge them into the main composition, how do I assign that composition to a track manually?

Might I suggest that you create a playlist instead? Roon recognizes and organizes based upon the album model. And a composition is more than just a user-defined collection of tracks. Roon just isn’t designed to accommodate your model, although there may be a workaround.

First, do your tracks have the composer credits completed? No composers, no composition.

Second, if so, check that Roon does indeed think it’s a composition. If you hit the three dots for the track, is there a go to composition?

Thirdly, if so, go to the Compositions browser, and filter on hotel california. Use the funnel…

If you see multiple Frey versions, select and merge them.

1 Like

First, do your tracks have the composer credits completed? No composers, no composition.

This is helpful and makes sense. That (logical) dependency hadn’t occurred to me.

Second, if so, check that Roon does indeed think it’s a composition. If you hit the three dots for the track, is there a go to composition? Thirdly, if so, go to the Compositions browser, and filter on hotel california. Use the funnel…If you see multiple Frey versions, select and merge them.

I’ll try this workflow—thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.