Add entire artist to playlist then shuffle

I was just talking to others about artists I’d like to play towards the end of 2020. I would really like to pick a list of artists, say Lily Frost, Diana Krall and Patricia Barber, and shuffle among them forever.

Yes, Roon radio is decent, but I want to pick my exact list of artists, no more, no less.

There is a good chance this functionality is already implemented.

If you select an artist inArtist View, and click on Play Now, then Roon will play in shuffle mode tracks from this artist. It will look inbut also outside your library (if you are subscribed to Tidal or Qobuz).
Be aware, also tracks where this artist is a ‘collaborator’ will be played.

I have not tested it, but if you select a number of artists in Album View, and click Play Now in the upper window of the artist shown, I am pretty sure Roon will play in shuffle mode tracks of the selected artists.

Just give it a try and let us know
Dirk

Go to the artist page. Select the artists (tap and hold or right click). At the top tap the three dot menu next to play now, select add to playlist, bob’s your uncle.

I’m doing this all via Windows client.

I’ve been trying this and it sort of works. I am not sure if I am having a bug with it not being available for all artists, or I’m just clicking differently or if I’m at the limit of the number of tracks I can shuffle. This really should be a lot more straightforward, that’s for sure.

You can also try doing it with bookmarks, which don’t seem to have any limit.

There are two easy ways to do this without playlists, tags or bookmarks. Use either Artists or Tracks depending on what you want to include.

Artists: Go to Artists view. Select the artists you want to shuffle. It will show you at the top left how many are selected. Then just hit Play Now. It will shuffle all the tracks from the albums where those Artists are the primary artist. For example, selecting John Lennon will just include his solo albums, not The Beatles.

Tracks: Go to Tracks view. Go into Focus and select Performer, and choose the artists you want to shuffle. It will then filter tracks by those artists and you just hit Shuffle. This will include everything those Artists are appearing on, e.g. selecting John Lennon will include his solo albums, The Beatles, as well as a few specific tracks by other artists that he appears on, e.g. The Rolling Stones We Love You, David Bowie Fame, etc.

You could also use Album view and Focus on Performers, but the problem with that is that it will shuffle all the tracks on the albums that the artists appear on, not just the specific tracks they are on. So for example, selecting John Lennon as Performer will include everything on The Rolling Stones Complete London Singles Collection instead of just the track We Love You.