Adding own notes (reviews, biographies, web links, etc.) to albums, artists, compositions, playlists …

[Moderator Note: similar “own notes” requests have been consolidated into this topic.]

One of the ways I keep track of yet-to-be-released albums/EPs is bookmarking a web page, updating a text file (e.g. Evernote), or flagging a promotional e-mail that reference them. While Evernote could serve as a single source for such information, I would love to have a similar option within Roon. Any chance of enabling something as simple as a text box (preferably with a link to it on the bottom, next to the Heart and Lyrics icons)?

To go even further, it would be useful to be able to submit custom text (much like custom tags or Edit Version field for each album) for any given album or track. It’s for those of us (like me) weird enough to keep listening notes of a particular track (or album) as we listen.

Ultimately, I would like Roon to be the central/sole source for anything related to music (and not just to play music) – a mashup of Tidal and Evernote (I suppose).

4 Likes

Could we also add similar custom notes to playlists? It’s something that iTunes doesn’t offer.

1 Like

I would like to have the option to add extra reviews for albums. As well as the main review, on the album screen there could be a button or something to bring up reviews from other sites. This would essentially be a copy and paste function for the user. Maybe some small buttons to the right or somewhere near the main review, to indicate that there are other reviews available that the user has selected.

Also, perhaps the review sources could be “tagged”, so that by clicking on the review source, Roon would show all other entries in the database where the same source has reviewed the album.

2 Likes

And just to add to this - it would be good to have a number of hyperlinks within Roon that the user could click on, to take them to their favourite music-related websites. Maybe this could be integrated somehow with the existing links section.

Also worth mentioning here - as well as adding extra reviews, a feature to allow the user to add their own notes/review to the album too. I think that this feature has been mentioned elsewhere.

2 Likes

Yes. Would be great if I can add listening notes

2 Likes

I have a lot of music that has no reviews at all and I can’t even imagine how hard it is to keep on top of the volume of new music & old not in the Roon library. I’ve seen many good independent reviews on albums I have and would like to be able to add them in to my library myself giving credit to the source. Soon could then vet to see if they wanted it to be made public. A bit like Wikipedia but with the with the control of public release up to Roon. I would have a review in my library for my benefit especially on albums that may not ever get entered into Room. If there was a Roon review that I didn’t find appropriate I could hide it in preference for my ownreview and/or online review or you could set one of several reviews saved as primary and toggle though to read others & Roon’s.

1 Like

I’d also like to have these notes play a role in searching. A note field for album, track, playlist, and artist would be great.

1 Like

FWIW, I am the author of a couple of record guides. As much as I love Roon (and I do I made a “lifetime” commitment), I cannot believe that there is no option to add my own reviews and biographies or weblinks to my music database. Plex has it, quite nicely I would add, and while I do enjoy what metadata Roon provides, I would be over the moon to be able to add my own, to my music library, and even perhaps share with others.

This really doesn’t seem like that difficult an implementation, just perhaps a table and a couple of rows to a database and the “Prefer My Own Data” switch on the artist/album. etc.

18 Likes

Hi, I wrote about this extensively a long while back.

It may or may not be on the cards in the dev. You are most welcome to continue the discussion, revive the thread, perhaps it will have a +ve effect.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m gonna keep making noise about this because I simply cannot believe this hasn’t been implemented already. It’s a complete no-brainer. Easy to implement, and gives me so much more reason to live in the Roon apps when listening to my music. I’m dumbfounded this doesn’t get more interest…

7 Likes

I’ll add to this again, we put on live shows and as artists come through there are many reviews I would like to save with their albums and even perhaps my own gig review blog that I could save with our personal show recordings.
That would be a lovely feature but I am not qualified to say how easy it is to integrate just now.

2 Likes

Yes, this would be good. I do not agree with many of the reviews that are linked today so I’d like to link my own or simply blank it…

4 Likes

For every artist and album, Roon gives the option of choosing either Roon metadata or “File” medadata; just go in and edit an album or artists. You can choose between each, and even enter on an “ad hoc” basis.

Adding a couple of fields for “review”, “notes” or “web link” for albums and artists would require little if any toil on Roon’s part.

Would be interested to hear an “official” response.

3 Likes

A possibility is to write reviews, comments and such into a .pdf file (this can be done via Microsoft Word, for example) and to put the file under an album directory. In the album, Roon will show a PDF (or more than 1), where one can click and choose to view the file. The file (for me, at least) pops up in Microsoft Edge.

1 Like

I guess the idea is to have everything under one roof, nu to find some workarounds. Even so, the implementation of pdf in ROON is just basic (opening in the default program).

But, what will really be interesting (and very useful) will be the possibility to save from within ROON interface the manually entered data, either to the files tagging system or to some sidecar implementation. This will make the library more application agnostic.

I understand your point. I am more interested in software that offers a lot of editing possibilities for notes and such. That sort of thing is not Roon’s specialty, and I am willing to live with an indirect way of creating and viewing notes.

Let’s face it, that searchable, surfable magazine about your music is an illusion.

1 Like

Plex currently offers these features, adding album reviews and artist bios. So perhaps, maybe not so illusive… :wink:
(will add screenshot later).

Fully agree. I requested this some time ago. It was a feature of Sooloos which I appreciated. There are albums Roon does not identify that, if avaiable, I could add in some info.

PLEASE CAN WE HAVE THAT FACILITY ADDED.

1 Like