Add portrait mode to the Android tablet app [Done in Roon 1.8]

The Android phone app is portrait only, which is understandable, but the tablet app is landscape only, which is less understandable. Having portrait mode (with vertical scrolling of artists songs etc) would be useful, especially when reading bios and other information.

9 Likes

Android, too?

This is being worked on… its a total change in UI design.

+1 started using Roon remote on my galaxy tab. The settings text is not scaling correct and landscape mode exposes how weak my wrists are :wink:

1 Like

I’m digging 1.7 but really hope that portrait mode is added to android tablet soon.

2 Likes

This is probably the single most important usability feature for me. I view everything else in portrait and spend a lot of time browsing so having to switch to landscape just to turn down the volume a notch or whatever can be annoying. First world problem I know, but it would be good to get this sorted.

+1 to this feature request from this Roon user and lover. I just got a brand new snazzy 10.5" Tab S6 tablet and it would be awesome if it worked in both portrait and landscape…

Any news for portrait mode? On Huawei Matepad 10.4 only in horizontal mode (newest version from apkmonk).

1 Like

I would love this too. Currently I am having to use apps specifically to force portrait mode, which drains battery since always running.

Agreed, this is a needed feature. Especially considering it works on some apple tabs

Agreed. Very annoying and inconvenient. Tablets are easier to navigate in portrait mode.

Out of interest , I have just treated myself to an iPad Pro 12.9 , the only tablet that does both orientations

I am finding that for Roon landscape works out better. I did have a Win 10 tablet and found the same

Portrait just looks a bit "stretched "

my 2p …

Perhaps should add that I have smaller tablets - 8.5 and 10in ones.
When I listen to music I use the Tablet for both controlling the music AND broswing the internet, checking Emails etc. These apps are all in Portrait mode. Then I want to skip a song and now it’s a strange experience:

• I do not have the Android shortcuts that other media players have in the tray for skipping
  • I have to switch my device from Potrait to Landscape, do the song change, now switch the device back.

Not ideal.

1 Like

I’m also extremely keen to see this happen. Its worth noting though that most of the time I only want to quickly skip, pause or adjust the volume. If I want to browse roon its no problem to rotate to landscape.

That being said, having controls in the notification panel and/or a widget would be fantastic. Out of habit I often swipe down the notification panel expecting to see some controls. That alone would be an awesome upgrade.

Personally I have to admit that I cannot understand this need for a portrait mode. TV, cinema and cameras are only in wide screen. The human perspective is landscape and thus wide screen reflects this natural view.

Because a lot of us prefer to use our tablets in portrait mode.

Blockquote
Personally I have to admit that I cannot understand this need for a portrait mode. TV, cinema and cameras are only in wide screen. The human perspective is landscape and thus wide screen reflects this natural view.

For consuming (video) media? Absolutely. 100% agreed.

For using your tablet as a “remote control”? Definitely disagree, I think holding it on “the skinny sides” (for lack of a better description) definitely makes more sense, and gives the tablet a general shape more along the lines of a really large remote (which is exactly how it’s being used as) and/or a “book” (the other way it’s probably being used as). Makes a lot more sense, to me, personally, to have Roon-on-tablet in Portrait mode. TIFWIW.

this is done in Roon 1.8.