Add Radio Paradise as a "music service"

Ahh, I see the problem. You’ve hit another bug.
You may think you’re playing …com/mellow-flacm, but you’re not, you are really playing …com/mellow-flac.

For unknown (to me) reasons, Roon will (sometimes?) drop back to the alternative stream - without telling you.
It’s confusing, but @dylan is aware.

Yes, got it! Thanks @andybob and @Geoff_Coupe !

1 Like

I enjoy Roon a lot but the Radio Paradise support is seriously bugging me. Like Roon, Radio Paradise is a music lovers (Not that fan of using the term audiophile…:slight_smile: ) thing. I already noticed that the BluOS implementation has an implementation of RP with album art and track info. Today i discovered Volumio has one as well. And this one is completely free. One of my end points is a little RPI4 with an integrated RPI Touchscreen. I use it in my kitchen connected to a small USB DAC and active speakers. This is not meant to be a top notch setup, but just to get good quality stereo music when I listen to music in the kitchen and dining room (mainly in the weekends). I set this up as a Roon end point with the fantastic support of the Roon web controller add on. As of today this endpoint is on Volumio. I don’t have the paid subscription so no Qobuz integration (I do have still an option to use the Roon bridge which is enabled in Volumio). The thing is that in this endpoint i listen to Radio Paradise. A lot. In 20 minutes I had this setup with full touchscreen integration (plugin out of the box) and Radio Paradise with album cover art and full track details.

Come on Roon, you can do better than this. I am not a programmer, but i have tinkered enough in my life to believe getting this to work is not rocket science. For the amount you charge us, you can afford to do this I think.

3 Likes

+1 please, please.

Half my listening every day is RP and I use the RP interface on other devices as Roon doesn’t support. After all a great product supports integration.

1 Like

I use the Roon control extension called itRox and my Android phone and it gets both artwork and metadata

2 Likes

Indeed nice one but only for Android and I am IOS 100% :frowning:

1 Like

+1, RP is the best!

2 Likes

Radio Paradise is Listener supported. Great people to keep afloat in these turbulent times.

Please see link below.

6 Likes

Agreed. RP is terrific and worthy of support!

5 Likes

As people have mentioned in thread, Volumio and BluOS have nicely implemented RP streaming, with Album covers and all. It is 2021 and Roon still wouldn’t do it! Possibly because RP is free and Roon can’t be bothered about anything without money in it :slight_smile:, even if they are already charging us a bomb.

It’s currently available as a radio station. Do you know if RP is set up to work with Roon?

There are a variety of requests for different music services, but certain integration requirements exist and must be met prior to implementation.

RP was previously solely listener supported, and these deals are kind of a recent thing. Wouldn’t hurt for you to reach out to RP and see if they are interested in working with Roon. RP will communicate / respond by email.

@rrwwss52 yes, I’m aware that RP exists as radio station and Metadata is also available if one selects the URL with “m” suffix. Its just that the album covers and Roon interface will beautifully complement this wonderful station.
RP has made almost all of its services open and accessible to all and I found this API which should work easily - https://api.radioparadise.com/api/now_playing?chan=0. Is there anyway to get developer attention to this one?

I understand that there are many streaming services out there and integrating each to its fullest won’t be possible. However, since RP was one of those few stations who stream flac and seeing all the requests here, the dev efforts maybe worthwhile. Just a thought.

5 Likes

Again coming back to this. Come on Roon!!!

2 Likes

Not wishing to go off topic but I’ve been through a similar experience recently with Jazzgroove. As a subscriber Jazzgroove provide a link which is effectively a cut and paste link to set up their FLAC streams on Roon radio. However the original URL was missing metadata (Artist/Album). Following some exchanges with Jazzgroove they kindly provided a .pls stream which now provides FLAC with metadata and is fully compatible with Roon radio. I don’t think it was a major exercise to do this so if the parties are willing…it can be done.

You have the best ideas Mikael_Ollars.
Of course, ROON 2021 should be able to offer this service. When several others have it.
ROON should naturally be at the top to broaden people’s interest in new artists.
I keep my fingers crossed that the skilled ROON people will solve this immediately.

Mikael_Ollars
I envision the “Now Playing”-screen showing artist image, album cover, composition/album/artist-links so we can find, and “Favorite” the songs we like, but are not yet in our personal library.

4 Likes

Would seriously love Roon to embrace Radio Paradise properly. The BlueOS/Bluesound integration is the best but Roon could do even better. It would be one more thing to keep me on Roon rather than on other solutions.

With the recent release of Innuos Sense and many others slowly catching Roon up, they should be looking at quick wins like this. Think of all the Roon customers who would also discover Radio Paradise for the first time too. I discovered it through Bluesound.

Plex is working on functionality to Rival Roon too and after experiencing Plexamp, their solution could be a good one. Plexamp produces better sound quality from an iPhone than Apple’s own Apple Music lossless. Plex has the ability to provide a great “Roon-like” solution and are strongly hinting it’s in the works.

Come on Roon, Radio Paradise with MQA support, track skipping, track rating, rich metadata, Album/Artist and track visuals. You could be top of the tree with this!

1 Like

I seriously doubt that Radio Paradise would do what is necessary to gain Roon Integration. Roon integration isn’t like integration with anyone else’s system.

If that’s the case, that’s a shame for Roon.

1 Like

As a Roon newbie having come over from the Squeezebox universe, Radio Paradise (lack of) integration is one of my biggest bugbears. Being able to skip a track is a game-changer on a reasonably eclectic station - one of the things I loved about the LMS/RP/iPeng setup. I really miss that - and am typing in silence because a track was doing my head in and I can’t just hit Next. So, it seems my alternatives are:

1. Spin up LMS alongside Roon and have my Allo Boss Player and other endpoints switch between Roon and Squeezebox
  2. Live with it and get used to switching Radio Paradise off - a pain whilst I’m working in Covid lockdown
  3. Give up on Roon and go back to Squeezebox

Looks like the previous and next track buttons are greyed out, which is what I get. Is that right? This is functionality I dearly miss - and it’s available on other platforms such as LMS (Squeezebox).