Adding a disc to a multi-disc set

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS 10.14 / MacMini

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

1.6 (build 416)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Schiit Modi/HiFiBerry RP3/FIIO DAC

I recently spent several hours taking a 100 disc set (Franklin Mint 100 Greatest Recordings of All Time) and combining it in Roon. While the set was nearly complete ( I was missing 3 albums in the set of 100) and I have now acquired 1 of the missing discs. I was not able to identify the set using the Identify Album feature, but that’s not the end of the world. But with this new disc, I’m having a hard time figuring out how to add it to the collection that I created.

I’ve added the item and Roon recognize it. But I can’t figure out how to add it to the set of discs via the Merge Album feature. It wants to ‘automatically organize” it and I don’t want to do that because it seems it’s going to revert back to the merging that ultimately required me to do a lot of manual work to organize things.

Simple fact is this is a fairly extensive and complex classical collection and I want to be careful about not having to do all that work again.

Hope this make sense. I realize I may not be describing this issue correctly. Bottom line I have 96 disc of 100. I have 1 I want to add and I can’t seem to figure out how to do that.

Hi Scott,

Check out this kB article about merging albums and see if it helps.

Cheers, Greg

The “disk x of x” meta tag needs to be right, and the album name the same (or you’ll need to merge albums). I also like to prefix the file names in a album with 1- for disk one, etc - or you can put each album in its own folder which makes adding a disk easy.

Have a look at: How can I ensure multi disc sets and box sets are identified properly? and the merge albums link mentioned by @Greg .

1 Like

Thanks very much for the advice. I’ll dig a bit more deeply into the meta tags for these files to ensure I have consistency in naming conventions.

So just to be clear on the tag thing. I did a fairly innocent search for ‘metatag editor’ and - wow - there is some pretty strong emotions around here about metatags and Roon. I will not wade into that…but…never the less, you did suggest that the meta tags need to be right.

So how does one best do that as it relates to Roon. Seems like just getting a meta tag viewer should be simple enough to then evaluate the individual files to validate the proper tags to use to merge things together. But, unless I’m misunderstanding, Roon approaches tagging differently and the tags aren’t actually embedded (or modified) in the files themselves. Is there a way then to manage this ‘correct tag’ issue?

On Mac, I use Metadatics, though I realize there are many others. After ripping, I then drop the album folder containing the music files into the app, and edit away - IF necessary. Sometimes small errors will jump out at you, sometimes its more subtle.

If you want tracks to be in the same album, obviously the album name needs to be consistent, for a multi-disk set, edit the disk x of x. The tags have to be pretty much right for Roon to be able to identify the album - garbage in, garbage out.

There‘s also „album artist“ and „compilation“ which prevent compilation albums being split into multiple 1 tract albums - again, these are best edited externally before importing into Roon.

I moved to Roon from another platform, and on my first import, stuff was all over the place. It took a little massaging and quite a bit of time, mostly adding „album artist“ tags, to get things right.

thanks for the info MJB. Much appreciated.

Maybe check out SongKong as well

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.