Adding an SSD to Nucleus

Is there a (nonsubtle) sonic difference with the addition of an SSD to Roon Nucleus versus a traditional external 3 TB USB drive? I do expect that the elimination of the USB 3.0 cable (even an extremely high-end one) might well make a difference. And the reduction in vibration as well. My system with Wisdom LS4s is quite capable of benefiting rom real upgrades.

Unless your DAC is directly connected to the Nucleus, the hardware used will make absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to sound quality.

If the DAC is directly connected to Nucleus, then let the religious wars begin as to wether or not you can hear any difference based on the hardware used. The primary pitch here is leakage current from the source to the USB device via the USB cable. (Hint: it doesn’t.) It’s highly unlikely that changing to an internal SSD from an external USB device would have any affect on this theory.

In short, if the SSD is what you want for convenience/ease of use/aesthetics/whatever, go for it. You won’t hear any difference.

1 Like

…except the audible noise from a spinning drive.

1 Like

I will let you know shortly if that is the actual case. I have 3 friends that are digital engineers of repute. All three told me that answer was no on a similar question. Until I actually made the change, and then they were all stunned with the difference.
Stuff out of books doesn’t always tell the full story of actual application. And I am not a novice, having a degree in Nuclear Physics and having owned one of the larger A/V companies in the US for almost 20 years.
Sometimes you just need to give it a try: it does not always work better - but sometimes (if you have not made an irrational choice) it does.