Adding later a 2.5” hard drive to a NUC, but how to format the drive [Answered]

I’ve ordered a Nuc7i3BNH together with a m.2 ssd and ram However, I’ve not yet ordred an internal 2.5” hard drive. I’m still looking at options but I will go with an external USB drive that has my music (for the time being).

Questions:

1. If I want to later install a 2.5” hard drive in the Nuc (and not use the external USB drive), how do I format this internal 2.5” drive? Would I have to install Rock again?

2. My music is on an external USB drive but it’s formatted in Apples HFS filesystem. Will Rock be able to read this USB drive?

No, Just navigate to the ROCK Web UI and click on the format internal drive, It than makes it available under the roon settings under storage… Its called “Music Folder” Just enable it.[quote=“Jaspal_Kallar, post:1, topic:27018”]
My music is on an external USB drive but it’s formatted in Apples HFS filesystem. Will Rock be able to read this USB drive?
[/quote]

I dont think so… tagging @danny

yes… see here:

External storage (USB) can be most popular filesystem formats, and will not be formatted, so you can put your music on it and just plug it into the box. Filesystems supported: EXT2/3/4 VFAT/FAT32/FAT16/EXFAT NTFS HFSPLUS HFS;

The HFSPLUS and HFS are the Mac formats. I can’t remember if you can write to it with HFS+, but you will be able to read from it.

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Awesome!
This is why I tagged you up, I wasent sure. :smiley:
Thanks @danny!

Great thanks for the reply folks

A post was split to a new topic: Will ROCK format my USB drive?