Adding Music To Library always hangs

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Four core iMac with Catalina.
Files are SMB from a Synology NAS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet cord to network.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
The adding music to library process always hangs and spins endlessly. Often at 0 added and 0 identified. I’ve blown away all the files under Library and started over reconfiguring many times, but it never finishes.

Screenshot of where the process has been hung for a day:

Hi @evan_campbell,

Our team is investigating reports of this and we are working on a solution. In the meantime, a workaround was posted here that should help until we have a permanent solution.

Thanks!

Hi @evan_campbell,

After chatting with the team, it looks like your report is a bit different. The issue we are looking into seems to affect Linux only, so the issue you’re seeing here is similar but likely a bit different.

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Here you are. Thank you @dylan

1 Like

Hi @evan_campbell,

Thank you for sending those logs and for your patience while we had a chance to review the logs.

According to your latest log, we see that /music/Melvins/Electroretard/The Melvins - Electroretard - Gluey Porch Treatments (New And Improved).mp3 is the last track scanned, so it is possible that Roon is hanging on this track.

Can I please ask that you move this .mp3 file out of your watched storage location, reboot your Core and verify if there is any change in behavior with regard to the scanning?

I killed that whole album, rebooted iMac core, started Roon, and am back to endlessly spinning “Adding Music To Library” with tracks numbers that don’t agree, 0 added, 0 identified. This is its usual state.

As a reminder, I moved the two NAS mounts to NFS (since that was a workaround for Ubuntu), but the behavior hasn’t changed.

@noris thinking about your suggestion, I rebooted, unmounted the /music drive, restarted Roon, disabled the /music in Settings > Storage, to see if the smaller drive /HiResMusic would successfully load by itself. It did!

So then I zipped the entire /music/melvins directory (I won’t miss it much…) and remounted and reenabled /music in Settings > Storage, and it all worked!

So I know the Melvin’s aren’t everyone’s taste, and i see in the log a lot of corrupt .mp3 files, but why would that break Roon’s ability to continue importing files (looks like something broke connection to server)?

1 Like

Hi @evan_campbell,

Happy to hear that since removing the Melvins audio files the issue has subsided!

Can I please ask that you send me this .zip archive so I can forward it to our QA team for closer inspection and to try to reproduce the issue you were seeing?

I have sent upload instructions via private message, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.