Adding Music to Library Issue / Losing Connection to Core

i7 Small Green Computer / Roon 1.6 build 401 )

I have an 8 TB hard drive connected to an i7 Small Green computer. The i7 Small Green computer is connected to a trendnet switch. A cable modem router is also plugged into the trendnet switch. The trendnet switch is connected to an ethernet powerline adapter. In my audio room, a netgear switch is connected to the other ethernet powerline adapter. An ultraRendu is plugged into the netgear switch. The ultraRendu via usb is plugged into the dac of an Oppo 205

When I use the i7 SGC as the Roon core it plays for a day or so with no problems. Then it begins to chronically lose connection. If I reboot the i7 SGC it sometimes re-establishes connection. At other times I have to re-boot the i7 SGC several times. Additionally, the following often comes up:

Adding music to Library: Of 18 tracks, 0 added, 0 identified

When in this state Roon does not play music.I have left the i7 SGC in this state overnight and the next morning nothing has been resolved.

Is the i7 SGC chronically losing connection and the Adding Music to Library issue related?
How can I resolve these issue? Are these 18 tracks corrupted? If so, how do I find and remove them?

I also have a NUC core (Windows 10) that with the identical hard drive that plays with no issues and does not have the Adding Music to Library issue.

Thanks,
Fernando

Hello @Fernando_Maldonado,

We have previously seen powerline adapters cause issues with Roon. Can I ask you to try to connect the Oppo 205 to the same Trendnet switch that the i7 is on and let me know if you experience the same issue? If we can find the cause to be the powerline then we can address it, generally we would recommend mesh network such as Orbi/Velop instead of powerline adapters as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Noris,

Any idea why do I not have any of the problems described above when I substitute a NUC (Windows 10 Home) as my core? The NUC core operates for weeks without ever losing connection / or getting stuck Adding Music to Library.

Thanks,
Fernando

Noris,

When I connect the Oppo 205 to the Trendnet switch that the i7 is on, I do not have the same issue.

Thanks,
Fernando

Thanks for confirming that there are no issues when connecting the Oppo to the same switch that the i7 is on.

This indicates that the powerline adapters are causing at least part of the issue here with regards to stability and I would take a look at a network configuration with a mesh-network or have an Ethernet cable ran to your audio room and using an unmanaged switch to split the connection once in the audio room.

As for the “Adding Music to Library” message, I can likely locate the offending files by enabling diagnostics mode for your account and taking a look to see if any files exhibit this behavior. I have gone ahead and enabled this feature and what this action will do is next time your SonicTransporter is active a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

If you are currently using your NUC core, please switch over to the SonicTransporter to ensure that the diagnostics report reaches our servers so that I can take a look. Please let me know once you have made the switch back so I can check our diagnostics servers for the SonicTransporter report.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

The i7 SonicTransporter is running the Roon core.

Thanks,
Fernando

I can confirm that the diagnostics report has been received but it looks like there are quite a few things happening in the background of your SonicTransporter right now, I’m seeing files still being analyzed and added to your current library. This might be due to to background audio analysis and it is making finding these 18 files a bit difficult, our best bet here would be to take another look once things settle down.

Can you let me know when Roon completes the background analysis? You should be able to see where it’s at in the progress by going to Roon Settings -> Library and then looking right under the “Background Audio Analysis Speed” section.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

I turned of the background analysis so you can look for the 18 suspect files.

On a related issue, I have scheduled to have an wired Ethernet cable (cat 6a) run from my downstairs office (router location) to my upstairs listening room this coming Wednesday. So in a couple of days I will no longer be using the ethernet over powerline adapters in my network.

Thanks,
Fernando

Thanks for turning off background analysis, but unfortunately the same traces regarding previously scanned files are present in your SonicTransporter logs. Can you try rebooting the SonicTransporter and let me know once you have done so?

Also glad to hear that you’re wiring a direct run to the listening room! I have a feeling things will be much more stable afterwards.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

I just re-booted the i7 SonicTransporter. Background analysis is off.

Regards,
Fernando

Hi @Fernando_Maldonado,

Thanks for rebooting the Core. I believe the offending files might be part of the following list:

04/09 21:23:13 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/1-16-18/The Who/Tommy DVDa D2 (outtakes and demos) 2496 6ch to 2ch/Title2 - I Was.m4a': UnsupportedFormat
04/09 21:23:13 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract tags from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/1-16-18/The Who/Tommy DVDa D2 (outtakes and demos) 2496 6ch to 2ch/Title2 - Amazing Journey DEMO.m4a': IoFailure
04/09 21:23:53 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/6-26-18/Motown DVDa 2444 2ch/Title2 - I Want You.m4a': UnsupportedFormat
04/09 21:23:53 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/6-26-18/Motown DVDa 2444 2ch/Title2 - Too High.m4a': UnsupportedFormat
04/09 21:24:17 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/FM/Popular/A - C/Leonard Cohen/Songs From A Tour/Songs From A Tour - CD 1/01 A Singer Must Die.mp3': CorruptFile
04/09 21:24:17 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/FM/Popular/A - C/Leonard Cohen/Songs From A Tour/Songs From A Tour - CD 1/10 Coming Back to You.mp3': CorruptFile
04/09 21:24:17 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/FM/Popular/A - C/Leonard Cohen/Songs From A Tour/Songs From A Tour - CD 1/09 The Guests .mp3': CorruptFile
04/09 21:24:18 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/FM/Popular/A - C/Leonard Cohen/Songs From A Tour/Songs From A Tour - CD 1/11 The Gypsy's Wife.mp3': CorruptFile
04/09 21:24:19 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract tags from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/FM/Popular/A - C/Perla Batalla/Pink Floyd/The Dark Side of the Moon/02 Pink Floyd - Breathe.flac': UnsupportedFormat
04/09 21:24:20 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract tags from '/storage/usbdrive/Music 1/FM/Popular/A - C/Tracy Chapman/New Beginning/11 Tracy Chapman - I'm ReadyTracy ChapmanNew Beginning11I'm Ready.flac': UnsupportedFormat

Can you please move these files out of your watched storage location, reboot the Core and see if the number of files that are not added has changed?

I did also notice one other issue here while looking at your diagnostics. You appear to be receiving Name Resolution Failures:
04/09 21:23:01 Critical: [easyhttp] web exception without response: : System.Net.WebException: Error: NameResolutionFailure

These can be corrected by changing your DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS. Can you please give this a try as well and let me know if it helps?

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

In addition to doing all the things you recommended, the wired ethernet cable is now installed. Thus far,
operation has been stable. Thanks for you help.

Regards,
Fernando

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.