Adding music to Library/Metadata Improver won't go away

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Innuos Zenith Mk III
innuOS version 1.4.6
Roon 1.7, build 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Verizon router: MI424WR Rev. 1
Luxul Epic 4 10/100 & 1000 Mbps Hub
IP address: 192.168.0.175
Mac address: 3c:ec:ef:3c:d6:14

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Innuos Zenith Mk III - Audioquest LAN 1.5M cable into rj45 lan input on a Metrum Acoustics Ambre streamer which uses i2s output to a Metrum Acoustics Pavane dac.

Metrum Ambre
Version 047
RAAT SDK Version 1.1.29

Description Of Issue

The problem I’m having is the circle in the top right corner is spinning constantly and when I click on it, I get the message of ‘Adding music to library’ and the spinning circle right in front of that message. Also, beneath that message, I have a red exclamation point that precedes ‘Metadata Improver: Halted. Roon needs a software update.’

I have performed 3 complete resets of uninstalling my library and then restoring from a backup via dropbox. each time I’ve done this, the problem goes away for a short time, maybe a couple of days - up to a week max. However, the exact same problem has come back every time. The only difference between the iterations of the problem is that the # of tracks next to the notice of ‘Adding music to the library’ is different.

And when I reset the library, it is clear my system sound better - more dynamics and life. It’s almost as if by this circle spinning constantly, roon must be working in the background which is subtracting from my sound quality.

I’m incredibly frustrated. Looking for any help I can get.
Thank you!

Hello @joseph_jensen, we’ve seen most reports of the metadata improver error be resolved by a reboot of the core. Please try this and let me know if it returns! For the spinning circle, could you send me a screenshot of what you see when you click on it? Are the numbers stuck at a certain track?

Unfortunately, I’ve rebooted my core (and entire system) several times and it has never fixed or even changed at all, the problem. As to the spinning circle, see below a screen shot. Just so you know, the numbers that initially show up when the problem starts seem somewhat random. I’ve seen starting numbers around 50 and some at in the 80 and 100 range. However, a related problem i’m sure, is that when I try to add an album to my library, i get a message that it’s taking too long and roon will keep trying in the background. Then after i try to add an album and i go back to the overview page, the numbers in the spinning circle will increase by the number of tracks on the album i just tried to add. Also, the album will show up in my recently added section, just without the artwork.

I’ve included 3 screenshots. First one is the spinning circle showing the number of tracks. Next is the message I get when trying to add an album, in this case it was Bob Mould. Finally screen shot is same as first and just shows how the number of tracks in the spinning circle have increased. It also shows the album now added to my library, without the artwork.

16577289-48AF-4BEA-B166-B5B9E7BA1F4C_4_5005_c

Add images

Hello @joseph_jensen, I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Ok, I’ve done what you asked. First reboot was at 7:15am, central on Saturday, January 17th. Second reboot was at 7:21am, central. Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you for your follow up.

One more odd behavior that I forgot to mention is that when I click on the little volume icon in the bottom right corner and then click on the settings icon and go into device setup, the system always reverts back to ‘device volume’ even though i always select ‘fixed volume’. And i do click save.

Hi @joseph_jensen,

I just wanted to let you know we’ve enabled diagnostics so we can review those timestamps that you mentioned. We’ll follow up as soon as we have feedback from our team on this. Thanks!

Great - thank you. Quick question, do I need to leave my Innuos and Metrum Acoustics Ambre on so your team can run the diagnostics? Or is it ok if I turn things off during the day when I’m not listening?

Hello @joseph_jensen, we got a copy of the diagnostic in so I’ll put a report together and pass it over to the QA team now!

Awesome. Thanks for your reply. Eager to hear what you find and more eager to fix the problem. Appreciate the follow up and support!

any update? Been a while since I’ve heard anything back…

Hello @joseph_jensen, it looks like your report is still being investigated by our QA team but in the meantime, we should do some network troubleshooting to see if we can narrow down the issue. Is your core connected directly to the router via Ethernet with nothing else between them? Do you have another machine we could use as the core temporarily to see if it produces the same issue?

My core is directly connected to my router, with the exception of a iSO-CAT6 LAN single noise filter that is in between. Unfortunately, I do not have a separate machine to use as a core.

Also, right now my system is in a state of flux as I’m swapping out my amplifier and cables for something different. It won’t be fully back up and running for another 2 weeks probably. I also just saw today that Roon 1.8 is coming out next week.

With all of that said, why don’t we just wait until mid February to try to find time to speak live. Hopefully by then you’ll have the diagnostics report back and we can dive into my system details with the newest version of Roon already installed.

Sound good?

one more thing, if you do get the diagnostic report back before mid February and are able to give me any advice or feedback on what’s been happening, please do. No need to wait for that.

Thani you

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.