Adding music to library process does not stop (aka. spinning wheel symptom)

Core Machine

i7/SSD/32GB/ROCK

Network Details

1G wired

Audio Devices

USB XMOS/mRendu

Description of Issue

When I first turn on the roonserver, the adding music to library process starts. The process is supposed to stop after adding music but it does not end even after the “Complete” message.

화면 캡처 2021-05-13 185924

Since this process does not stop, if I want to add music after the roonserver is started, I have to restart the server after adding new music files to the storage folder.

Performance, however, does not seems to be affected by this issue.

Hello @shinyc,

I appreciate you taking the time to observe this behavior, document it and let us know about it. I’m only sorry that we haven’t replied until today - please, accept my apology for this :pray: . I am very sorry…

To clarify, adding music to library and analyzing your library are two different processes. The first one involves locating your files and organizing them into albums. Once this is completed, Roon will try to analyze that music. Here’s more information about how that works and what settings you can adjust to make it suit you better:

I was wondering, has the scanning now process finished?

I’ll keep an eye out for your reply :nerd_face:

Hi @beka ,

Thank you for your reply. I know about the two processes that take place after importing new music files. The spinning has never stopped. So I think this is a larger issue than simply having to wait for the analysis phase. This symptom was developed after migrating my roon db from a OSX machine to a Rock machine. Obviously, I performed a backup restore process while performing the migration process. BTW, my past roon db migration experience has been very fragile. Would it help if I create a fresh backup and restore from it?

Hey @shinyc,

Thanks for following up right away :mantelpiece_clock:

I appreciate the additional details. I’ve moved this thread into our technical team’s queue, so they can make more meaningful suggestions.

In the meantime, trying to restore a newer backup cannot hurt, especially if you still have the old(er) backup that we know works.

Hi @beka ,

I created a new ‘full’ backup and restored to a rock based roon server. I reset the DB prior to the restoration. Unfortunately, it did not solve the issue. Please kindly update me with your support schedule. Thank you.

Hello @shinyc,

Thank you so much for following up on our conversation - it’s been a while…

I’m checking again with our technical team to find out more :nerd_face:

Hi @shinyc

I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at what you’re experiencing here. Before I do this, may I ask that you please do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service).

1 Like

Hi @dylan ,

Timestamps are as follows:

Please note that the timestamps are based in GMT+9 time zone.

Date: June 18, 2021

14:26

roon core machine rebooted and roon server started (1st time)

14:36

roon client started

14:46

roon client stopped

14:48

roon core machine rebooted and roon server started (2nd time)

15:00

roon client started

15:08

roon client stopped

roon server log file download link:

If you need further information, please let me know.

Thank you.

I’m sorry, @shinyc — I’ve been out of the office but I am looking into this and will follow up ASAP! Thanks for sharing that with us.

1 Like

Hi @shinyc

I spoke with the QA team about this. It looks like Roon is getting stuck trying to scan specific files that have abnormal characters in them. Unfortunately, we aren’t able to see specific details about what those files are.

Can you run Roon with -storagetrace enabled, open Roon a couple times and let it run for a few minutes, and then send us logs after?

Steps:

1. Right click the Roon icon and select “properties” from the drop down menu.
  2. You will see a field titled “target”. Place ‘-storagetrace’ or whatever other flag has been requested at the end of the “target’ input field.
  3. Make sure the “start in” input field ends with “application folder” and nothing else.
  4. Start Roon by double clicking on the shortcut.
  5. After uploading the logs for Roon Support, remember to go back and remove the flag from your shortcut.

Here’s an example image:

Hi @dylan ,

I am running a roonserver on a ROCK machine. Do you want me to use the “-storagetrace” option and run a roon remote on my laptop?

Regards,
Yong

I’m so sorry for the confusion here, @shinyc — For RoonOS, we can enable your account to run -storagetrace remotely. We’ve done that now.

What I’m hoping you can do is the same 5 minute process mentioned above:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

and then send us logs once more. This should contain more information to help us track down the bad media. I’ll then have the team disable -storagetrace.

Hi @dylan ,

Here we go:

roonserver was restarted at 00:03 and 00:15 on 7/21 (GMT+9).

Hey @shinyc, just wanted to let you know this is in a ticket with our QA team now and I’ll follow up once they’ve tracked down the troublesome file(s).

1 Like

Hi @shinyc

Philharmonischer Kinderchor Dresden - Abendlieder (2019) [24-96]

It looks like that album is causing this. Can you remove it from your watched folder (don’t delete it) and let us know if it helps? If it does, can you send this album to us?

Hi @dylan , Indeed, that folder was the culprit. Thank you so much for taking care of this. The folder contained a few file names with garbled characters. I renamed those files with more readable characters and everything is back in place. Unfortunately, I forgot where I placed the backup copies for your review. Unusually long streak of hot weather must have caused this memory loss. BTW, the garbled characters looked like ones from the movie predators. Very UFOish looking. Those were editable, too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.