Adding Music To Library Wheel Keeps Spinning

Hey @Still-One – can you give us some more details about how the sonicTransporter is configured for your network, and how you have the Orbi configured?

I ask because we’re looking at your diagnostics page, and the SonicTransporter has not contacted our server in over 25 days – this is probably another symptom of whatever is causing the identification issues.

In particular, I’m wondering about how you have DNS set up, or whether you’re using static addresses? Have you tried using Google DNS? If something was messed up with your DNS settings, and the sonicTransporter was having problems talking to our servers, that would explain all of this.

Note that we have not yet analyzed the logs you sent, but @noris mentioned this thread to me, and reading it over this all sounds like what I would expect if the unit was not getting out to our servers.

cc @agillis in case he has ideas about these connectivity issues.

You are asking questions I am not sure where to look for answers. Everything seems to be working fine with Roon and Tidal except for the spinning wheel that has now grown from ~47 to ~252 tracks added and 0 identified. Everything seems to play fine. I have made no changes to my set-up since late August.

I do not use static addresses. I know nothing about Goggle DNS and use Google for nothing. IHere is a screen shot of one page of the set-up.

If anything in the set-up was changed it was at the direction of Orbi support (before it expired) when we were trying to stop the dropouts.

@agillis

Due to DNS problems that we have had with many different internet providers the sonicTransporter now uses Google DNS by default and ignores the local DNS settings provided via DHCP. This has resolved a lot of different problems we have had with TIDAL and also Roon.

1 Like

If you want to make sure your sonicTransporter is using the Google DNS server press the update button on the software manager.

1 Like

I hit the update then restarted the i5. How do I know whether I am actually using Google DNS? All I can see is that my wheel is still spinning.

@agillis

Can I get into your machine and look around. I want to make sure there are no obvious problems. Email me.

Are you available tomorrow. I am at the hospital with my wife today.

I connected to his machine from remote here I what I tried.

1. tested network conductivity. No issues.
  2. Clicked on the spinning wheel. It says importing 212 tracks (from TIDAL) he tells me it has been like this for days.
  3. Tried to play a TIDAL track. TIDAL tracks play with no issues.
  4. logged out of TIDAL. Spinning wheel goes away and Roon acts normally.
  5. logged back into TIDAL. this time it gets up to 2205 tracks then gets “stuck” at the spinning wheel
  6. played a TIDAL track. It plays fine

I can only conclude that this is not a network problem. Roon works perfectly when TIDAL is disabled. Even with TIDAL enabled you can play TIDAL tracks with no problems so it seems like the local network + Internet connection are fine.

I can not get the spinning wheel to go away or get past the 2205 tracks. Is this a problem with TIDAL or the Roon database??

The next trouble shooting step I would take would be to delete the Roon database and start over but he would loose his playlists. Is there any way to troubleshoot this TIDAL problem before we go to that extreme step?

Since speaking with Andrew I did delete and recreate Roon on my i5. So far all of my local content has been added. It looks like most or all of the titles I have tagged in Roon are showing up BUT without cover art. The ones I have tried are playable. The spring wheel is stuck at the point. Here is a screen grab.

Hello @Still-One,

Thank you for sending those log files over. As far as I can tell this issue is still a networking related one because I am seeing traces of instability in identifying albums in the logs, specifically this trace over and over and I believe this is what is causing the sync to freeze up:

12/19 14:52:53 Debug: [identification] <559> status: NetworkFailure
12/19 14:52:53 Warn: [identification] requeueing album that failed due to network (identifyalbum)

I am also seeing that your SonicTransporter still cannot communicate with our diagnostics server, which also points to networking issues somewhere in the chain.

I’m going to go ahead and escalate your case to the dev team and ask them to take a look at the diagnostics, I will be sure to let you know once this case reaches their queue and they have reviewed. Just to make sure the devs have a complete overview of your case, can you please also let me know the model/manufacturer of your Modem in case this issues is related to the modem?

Apologies again for the frustration here, I will let you know as soon as your case has been reviewed by the dev team and I have some feedback from them regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

I am using a Netgear Orbi RBR50 with two satellites . The Sonic Transporter is hardwired to a TrendNet switch which is hardwired to the router. They sit two feet apart. Without the switch and the i5 connected direct to the router I was getting constant dropouts.

Just a note. I just tried logging out of Roon and logging back in on the Settings page and now the spinning wheel numbers have doubled to "Of 20398 tracks, 20398 added , 0 identified.

@agillis

Hello @Still-One,

I had a meeting with the QA team regarding your case today and still plan on bringing this to the devs later today. We have a few questions that would help us understand this issue better, can you please let me know:

• Does the number of imported tracks change at all when simply rebooting the SonicTransporter or do you have to log out of TIDAL and log back in for the import to proceed?

• What is your Modem’s model model/manufacturer? Not the router but the modem itself (the device provided by your ISP that is before the router)

• Does this same issue occur if you temporarily use your Mac Mini as the Core and temporarily connect it in the same way that you connected the SonicTransporter (as in the same port on that same switch)

Please let me know your findings as soon as possible as this would help clarify some of the behavior for the dev team review.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
I have a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1. Model MB8600

I hope this does not confuse you but here I go.

Yesterday after I deleted the database after talking with @agilllis and the system came back up it showed 10199 tracks.

I then tried turning off Tidal within Roon and when it came back up it showed 20398 (exactly double) as in the attachment above. That is how it still was earlier today.

When I saw your message I rebooted the Sonictransporter via the button on the front panel. When it came back up the number of tracks is now back to 10199.

I do not have a Mac mini. Just a laptop which I do not have Roon loaded on.

Hello @Still-One,

Thank you for confirming that information for us. I had a meeting with the devs regarding your case and they have noted that this issue seems to be networking related, especially since your Macbook Pro (not Mac Mini, apologies) is displaying similar patterns in the diagnostics. They are thinking this could be some kind of double NAT situation where the Orbi satellites are causing networking issues.

To verify if this is the case, can I please ask you to temporarily unplug the Orbi satellites (just the satellites), and reboot your SonicTransporter and Orbi Router and verify if the same issue occurs? Other than running this test, they would also like to verify the behavior if you temporarily host your Macbook Pro as the Core and connect it in the same way that your SonicTransporter is connected (as in the same port on the switch).

Please let me know if you are able to perform this test and your findings after doing so.

Thanks,
Noris

I have no means of hardwiring my MacBook Pro to my network. I will unplug my Satelittes but that means I am unable to connect my MS200 which drives my whole house system. Also that means several devices in my home are unavailable for network connections.

When I look at my Orbi information both my Sonicorbiter and dCS Upsamopler show has hardwired to my Network main Orbi router. Not sure how the other units come into play.

Will get back to you in a few minutes

@Noris
I unplugged both satellites. Rebooted the modem, rebooted the router and once up rebooted the SonicTransporter.

Wheel still spinning. Still showing 10199 tracks. 0 identified.

I do not want to use the MacBook with Roon for anything but controlling it. Select, pause, go etc. Why is it showing log files?

CORRECTION to one post above. I do have Roon on the MacBook Pro but it is not the core.

Thanks for confirming that for us @Still-One. Can you please try temporarily using the MacBook pro as the Core instead of just as a remote and see if you experience the same behavior? The log files are there because Roon Remotes also require log files for communication to the Core, this is how we troubleshoot issues that affect only the remotes and nit the Core.

The next steps after that are a bit more extreme but I would also like to know how the SonicTransporter behaves on a different network setup if this is at all possible.

Thanks,
Noris

I can only run core on the MacBook wirelessly. I have no means for a physical connection.

You did see the notes from Andrew that the network connections from the Sonictransporter seemed in order when he tested them.

Hello @Still-One,

Yes I do understand Andrew’s diagnosis here but the logs file paint another picture in my opinion, here is why:

1. This is a trace from your Core, clearly stating Network Failure:
 12/19 14:52:53 Debug: [identification] <559> status: NetworkFailure 12/19 
 14:52:53 Warn: [identification] requeueing album that failed due to network (identifyalbum)
  1. This is a trace from your Macbook, also indicating networking issues:
12/18 22:45:06 Critical: [easyhttp] web exception without response: : System.Net.WebException: Error getting response stream (ReadDone1): ReceiveFailure ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Network subsystem is down. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Network subsystem is down
  at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndReceive (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00012] in <f8bb3922e51744d9ace1aa6aedc374ea>:0 
  at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00057] in <f8bb3922e51744d9ace1aa6aedc374ea>:0 
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.EndRead (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x0009b] in <f8bb3922e51744d9ace1aa6aedc374ea>:0 
  at System.IO.Stream+<>c.<BeginEndReadAsync>b__43_1 (System.IO.Stream stream, System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <bb7b695b8c6246b3ac1646577aea7650>:0 
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1+FromAsyncTrimPromise`1[TResult,TInstance].Complete (TInstance thisRef, System.Func`3[T1,T2,TResult] endMethod, System.IAsyncResult asyncResult, System.Boolean requiresSynchronization) [0x00000] in <bb7b695b8c6246b3ac1646577aea7650>:0 
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
  1. You yourself have mentioned that you had dropouts previously without the TrendNet switch in place

2. Our diagnostics server is unable to retrieve logs automatically from your SonicTransporter

Something intermittent seems to be going on for your network, I am not sure what exactly it is but performing these tests will help clarify some theories for us. If you are able to temporarily host the Macbook as a Core (even over WiFi), that would be a great data point. If you are able to temporarily test the SonicTransporter on another network and see if the same issue still occurs that would give us an even better data point.

I hope you’ll agree with our diagnosis here and please let me know if you are able to try the above mentioned tests.

Thanks,
Noris

So how do I turn off the core in the i5. Then turn it on in the MacBook ?

Turning off then on my satellites has already created lost devices around my house that I am working to reconnect. Trying to get my upsampler back online.

What I can’t figure out is why this just recently started with no changes to my set-up