Adding to playlist automatically adds to library

Seems strange I would add to playlist but not add the same item to my library. Can we make this automated and linked?

1 Like

I think there are a number of us here who add albums to playlists to listen to later to decide if we want to add them to our library (or not).

I have several playlists of albums recommended by various outlets or end of year lists etc. and I certainly wouldnā€™t want these automatically added to my library.

.sjb

2 Likes

Totally agree

I have similar problem - my playlists are full of songs not in my library as they were converted from Tidal playlists.

So then make it an option/toggle ?

2 Likes

Iā€™m very grateful for Roon and wouldnā€™t trade it, but please, even if itā€™s 5 years down on the priority list, give some direct way to add playlist songs to my library. Even if itā€™s just a toggle on the My Playlists screen that either show playlists or all the songs in the playlists. Then at least I could just select them all and add to my library. This need is greatly exacerbated when someone (like me) has both Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions - because playlists that contain imported songs from Qobuz - ones that have the same songs Iā€™ve already added to my Library from Tidal (but maybe have re-imported because there was no MQA version but Qobuz had a 24 bit version, etc.) also donā€™t get added and Roon almost always chokes or lags severely or doesnā€™t work at all when there are already a few songs from an album in the library and one tries to add the full album without first removing those songs (and then one loses their play count, etc.) - even if they are from different services. So I would have to open each playlist, totaling thousands of albums, then either add the album (if Roon didnā€™t spin and hang forever on it), or remove the tidal version and then re-add the Qobuz version (but what happens if I decide to cancel one of the services eventually, so I donā€™t want to remove the Tidal version, but I also donā€™t need duplicates showing up in my favorites, etc.).

Iā€™m sure this suggestion is fraught with problems, but if it were possible to have an option in settings that was something like ā€œfor songs in your library, automatically replace (or add duplicate) and transfer all user specific metadata including times played and ā€œfavoriteā€ setting, when the same song is seen in a playlist thatā€™s been added more recently and has a higher bitrate, etc.ā€.

The above would also resolve the situation where I have made a song a favorite and played it 200 times using the version from Tidal, but then bring in a higher quality version from Qobuz and even if I get it into my library, I have to re-favorite it and I lose the number of times played, which for me - someone who heavily leverages the times played metric because my listening patterns are to often listen to nothing but the same album everyday for 2 or 3 months - throws off any ability to create bookmarks that capture the music Iā€™ve really lived with, and songs that I have played hundreds of times now show up with 0 plays and so can no longer sort on that value (I understand this is very specific to adding the same song from a different service and probably not worth anyoneā€™s time until the ā€œmaybe nice to haveā€ section of the roadmap is reached). But I often use play count to find the songs Iā€™ve forgotten to mark as favorites.

Sorry, I went off topic and rambled. I know my issue doesnā€™t mean itā€™s anyone elseā€™s issue, and itā€™s in no way a complaint nor does it influence how much I tell people I love Roon - I just kinda brain dumped because Iā€™m dealing with the situation right now. Thanks for listening, itā€™s one of the nicest things, that so often we get responses from the people responsible for Roon - even if itā€™s a ā€œsorry but noā€ - at least one feels like the thought made it to the right people - and that is so rare these days (but that wasnā€™t said to try to illicit any response here - youā€™ve responded enough times already that I ā€˜feel heardā€™). :wink: Thanks.