Additional Albums Sort By option : Date Recorded

+1
Just kicking this up, would really like this…

Er, I think this is here (and has been for some time). The Album Browser has sort options for:

• Artist
  • Most played
  • Date added
  • Date ← this is the “date recorded”
  • Album title

OK, maybe I’m missing something. I only show options for sorting Albums by “Release Date” and “Original Release Date”. I can sort Recordings by “Recorded Date” but not Albums.

The option that exists is not for “date recorded” but “original release date”. To the best of my knowledge, sort by “date recorded” isn’t an existing feature.

Yup - strictly speaking, you’re correct, it is the release date of the album. And some albums do have the start and end dates of when the recordings were made. I suppose for me, the release date is good enough, but I accept that some will think otherwise.

1 Like

You’re looking in the wrong place. Look in the Album Browser itself

Good enough for me as well.

Isn’t the problem with sorting albums by recording date the fact that many albums do not have a single recording date? Tracks mostly have a recording date (though Teo Macero’s wonderful splicing machine sometimes put together sections from different dates) but an album can have tracks recorded on several (many?) different dates. Which would you choose?

But this is either the original release date or the release date, depending on what is chosen in the settings.
The recording date would be different and may be significant for some people / types of music.

+1 for sorting by date recorded. Focus criteria by date recorded would also be great

The problem is that, for many live recordings, the original release date might be years after the recording date. This means that, if you want live albums to appear when they were recorded (rather than when released) - which IMHO is the right way to do it - then you have to set original release date as the date recorded. This means that you are losing information (original release date).

What I think is needed is an option to sort by:

(A) Date recorded (ignore if not available)
(B) Original Release Date (ignore if not available)
(C) Release Date

Doing this in the underlying code would be easy - SQL would be something like Coalesce(A,B,C)

This option could then be added to drop-down list and also an option in settings for it to be the default.

2 Likes

I see, and appreciate, exactly what you are saying. It’s just not a feature that I would use myself. Don’t forget to vote for it though - the vote count is still on zero!