Adjusting volume through Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

My Core is Roon Nucleus basic model

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

I have wireless 5G for my house. Two inner routers. Other one is wired to Hifi-system.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Melco S100 ethernet switch which is wired to the router. Melco N100 streamer and Nucleus wired to the S100. Topping D90 MQA paired with Melco N100 streamer via USB.

Description Of Issue

I have an integrated amplifier and also a power amplifier which I use at different times. When using integrated I set Topping as a DAC and when using power amp I set Topping as a DAC/PRE-amp so I can control volume with it.

Now I’m about to test one high tech DAC(Holo Audio May) which doesn’t have volume control. I would still like to test it also with the power amp but I would need to control the volume somehow. I believe Roon can be used that way. I haven’t yet got it to work. I have set Melco to “PCM Mode” but can’t figure out what settings Roon wants to make volume controlling possible.

Any help?

You need to select DSP volume as the Volume Control in Device Setup.

If I’m in the right place that option is not there. I don’t know why…

Is that screen the melco or the DAC?

That is a screenshot from my phone using Roon app as a remote. So it is Roon settings.

The Topping has hardware volume controls so try setting to Device Volume. If that doesn’t work then you’ll need to use DSP volume or select Fixed Volume and use either the DAC volume controls (on the front panel) or a connected preamp.

With Topping I have no problems. I’m about to get a really expensive dac to a home demo which doesn’t have volume control and would like to try it with my both amplifiers. Pre-amp would easily solve this but I don’t have one.

I would need to adjust the volume through Roon.
For some reason I don’t find “DSP volume” setting from Roon app.

I take it back. I rebooted everything once again and found it now. Seems to be working correctly!

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @Juuso_Pitkanen ,

Thanks for letting us know that the reboot cleared the issue up, please do let us know if there’s anything else we can assist with!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.