Advice about hidden files, please

Roon Core Machine

Apple MacBook Pro (15" 2017)

Cataline 10.15.7

3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Hub 3 connected to laptop via ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 4b with Allo BOSS DAC connected to router via ethernet & to analogue amp via standard phono.

Number of Tracks in Library

11,977 albums.

Description of Issue

I have quite a number of albums that started as a single audio file & I’ve used a splitter app & a cue sheet to turn them into individual tracks.

Up until now, I’ve kept the single track version in a sub-folder & hidden it in Roon.

If I were to remove these hidden files from my library, will Roon just adjust its database accordingly and have less hidden files to show?

Also, if I “show hidden files” will they just reappear in the database or do they appear in some kind of other menu where I can choose which ones to show & which not to?

Thanks.

If you remove the files, you may need to use “clean up Library” in “settings/library/library maintenance” just to keep your database clean. Not sure that you really “need” to do it, but I like to keep mine clean by removing the references to things I have deleted. Read the “clean up library” pop up for more info.

If you did not remove the hidden files and then select “show hidden tracks and albums” they will just show up in the database with everything else. There may be more to it but that is what I see when I hide and the show a track.

1 Like

Thanks.

If a user has many albums hidden, for one reason or another, I think it would be handy to be able to see a list & choose which ones to show.

You can use focus to see hidden albums:

I just noticed that I have hidden albums and they will not “un-hide” when I edit the album. The only way to see them is to set the Show hidden albums and tracks to on in settings…hmm seems like this is not working the way it should?

Aha!! I figured it out! I had multiple albums added, one that I ripped from a CD and two from Tidal, so when I used my bookmark for local music in my library it hid my local copy of that album due to having the Tidal copies in the library too. I removed the tidal versions and then the local album shows up when using my bookmark for local music. Seems to me if you focus on your local library it should NOT hide albums even if you have a version from a streaming service in there, too.

Ah! Thanks for that. I shall go & investigate.

Basically, I want to move all the hidden items to a new drive to create more space for myself in my main library, but I didn’t want to make them all visible & then have to spend days looking for them.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Okay, so this is interesting…

There are a vast number of albums that are hidden & that I haven’t personally asked to be hidden.

Would I be correct in assuming that:

a) This is Roon hiding duplicates on my behalf?

b) They will re-appear if I tag them differently to their duplicates?

Obviously if they are literally duplicates, I’ll delete them, but I’m not sure what Roon sees as a duplicate. Yesterday I had two different versions of the same Wagner Ring Cycle that I was tagging & one version keep disappearing every time I added the other one. The Album Artist was different & the tracks were named differently, but the album name & the primary artist were the same on both. In the end, changing the album title allowed them to co-exist but I’m surprised that album artist wasn’t sufficient to do that job. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.