Advice on hardware to run Roon

I’m so new, I’m not even sure if I’m posting this in the right place . . but here goes . . .

OK . . . I used to think of myself as pretty tech savvy, but you all are TOTALLY making me second guess all of that.

I’m a total NOOB, and pretty much an Apply guy, but I found this . . . Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i3BEH) - Core i3. It appears to come with a 1 TB SSD. Also Windows 10 (eww). I am hoping to run ROON Server for Windows and keep my library ( 400 GB ) on the same machine. Is that a good idea? Will it work?

Or should I keep trying to work with my

Mac Mini - (Late 2014)
2.6 GHZ Dual Core i5 Intel
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
1TB SATA Drive
Running MACOS Catalina 10.15.4

I’m really only using the MAC for Roon, but there’s a bunch of pre-installs on there that I can’t get rid of - otherwise I would consider wiping the drive and installing ROCK (If that’s even possible . … .)

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Cheers

Your best path is to use the NUC with Rock, from these instructions. You will need an additional 64GB or larger M.2 SSD for the OS and database, and use the SATA SSD for your music.

If you want to stick with the Mini, make sure Spotlight, Time machine, automatic updates, etc, are disabled… but a dedicated Roon server is the way to go.

Thanks . . . That is helpful . . . I never thought to disable all that stuff on my MAC.

I think for the time being, I’ll keep working with my mini - at least until I can learn some more, or learn enough to ask more intelligent questions.

Thanks @mikeb !

I always suggest that someone new uses equipment they already have to get a feel for Roon. And then, after some experience, they can make better decisions on what they may or may not need to upgrade.

I also recommend you stick with your Mini. I use a 2014 as well. It works great.

What do you mean you have pre-installs on mini?

Your Mini should be fine. I was using an even older one two years ago. Too old to get security updates. I wiped the drive, then installed Ubuntu on it, and installed Roon Server on that. But the NUC will work, too. You don’t have to use Windows if you don’t want to – you can install ROCK on the NUC.

Hey there! Thanks for your feedback . . .

Apple puts a bunch of their software . . . maps, mail, news, etc. When I was using that machine as my primary, those were fine, but I’m having a hard time figuring out how to get rid of them, now that I no longer need them.

That’s not a bad idea . . . I’ll look into that. Thanks!!