Advice on NAS selection

Thanks to a great, black friday, special. For those who could be interested, there are still some on sale right here. Snatch 'em before the price goes up without warning :wink: !

You can for $400 (just add an Akasa Plato x8). That’s a bit over a third of what you paid. As I pointed out earlier, our definitions of “a little bit” seem to differ (and that’s fine, there are only good choices here).

Building a NUC is a good option, but not 1/4 the price of a Nucleus, especially if you add a fanless case. I did the arithmetic and decided to go Nucleus.

1 Like

You’re right: I’d done the fanless case math from your $280 number.

For the curious, here’s the arithmetic:

1199 / 356.94 = 3.36 (the current price vs an Amazon cart with the Akasa fanless case)

1199 / 481.01 = 2,5 (the current price vs an Amazon cart with the Akasa fanless case)

1398 / 356.94 = 3,9 (MSRP without the fanless case)
1398 / 481.01 = 2,9 (MSRP with a fanless case)

All of these are fantastic options. And it’s great that people consider $718-$1041 to just be “a little bit” of money.

Evidently, lots of people consider the difference, money well spent. Otherwise, we would all build a NUC.

1 Like

Check out the new Intel “Rugged Elements” fanless case.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/zip/nuc/nuc-elements/

1 Like

Sexy… Couldn’t find an MSRP for 'em though (and wonder if they’ll be officially supported as a platform).

Those cases are for use with the new Elements Compute family of products, i.e. not the current NUC motherboards. Currently, they are meant for integrators, I am not sure they are going to be consumer facing for a long time.

1 Like

And I don’t think they’re quite released yet, though there are stories about them.