After a successful scheduled backup I’m unable to locate it with ‘find a backup’

Roon Core Machine

NUC10i7FNH 16GB memory and a 256GB SSD with Debian 11 (bullseye) and Roon 2.0 build 1149

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Mikrotik router, NUC and QNAP are connected via ethernet to the router.

Connected Audio Devices

Hegel H390 and a couple of Sonos speakers.

Number of Tracks in Library

21260 tracks, all local - stored on the QNAP

Description of Issue

I’ve scheduled backups configured like so to a QNAP nas:

In the sceenshot above it seems that the latest successful backup was this morning at 2:06:21
When I try to locate this backup it isn’t there:

If I create a manual backup I can find it at the specified location.

@Support, can you help me?

Just another user here. Now you obviously created a backup in a backup. This is usually bad. My advice is to delete the scheduled backup job, clean-up the backup directory and then create a new scheduled backup job from scratch. In the future: If you want to locate a scheduled backup, use the 3-dots menu and chose Clean/restore from there to open the Backup Manager automatically at the configured backup location.

Read also:

How? By utilizing the Force backup now functionality from the 3-dots menu or by performing a Backup now?

Force backup now: Please use this function after you created a new scheduled backup job to check if a backup to the configured location is working properly and whenever you feel the need to create an additional backup in your series. Also use it after you made changes (Edit) to your scheduled backup job to check if all is still in order and as expected.

Note: It has been demonstrated in the past, that certain changes to scheduled backup jobs may lead to further backups being placed in a new sub-folder (by Roon). Bad. I don’t know if Roon Labs ever fixed that issue or if he still exists.

Backup now: Use this with caution if you already have a scheduled backup set up. Do not create those manual backups in the same location as your scheduled ones. Use the Find backups functionality to locate those manually created backups.

PS: Given the contents shown in your screenshot, I would have expected the folder at the top to have the name RoonBackups and not just Roon (the initially configured backup location in this case would then have been the folder backup):

How comes? Please make sure that you don’t interfere/change anything inside a Roon backup location.

1 Like

Thank you for your extensive reply!

I think you pointed me in the right direction, I always pick the same directory for scheduled and forced backups and I never used the three dot menu.

I will clean the backup directory, setup a new scheduled backup job and see what happens over the next couple of days.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.