After Power Outage Can't Find Roon Core

John, if you manage to connect a monitor/TV set and USB keyboard to your Nucleus, you could try and reset the device’s network configuration. This obviously would require the Nucleus to be connected to its Ethernet subnet, too.

To reset the network settings, once you see on the monitor that the Nucleus is active, just press Enter, then write resetnetwork and press Enter again.

By this the network settings of the device are refreshed, and it will ask for a fresh IP from the DHCP server active on your network. This in some similar cases helped to resolve the problem.

2 Likes

I didn’t name it. I’m shutting down for the evening. I have to get my popcorn ready for TV viewing with the wife.

Thanks for your help.

I thought so, which makes it more mysterious. Have a nice evening! I guess we need support to pull full logs from the Nucleus

I think there is a network command that would allow me to accomplish this through a command prompt. I’ll look into that versus HDMI.

Yes, the command is resetnetwork, but you have to connect the keyboard to the Nucleus, as you can’t open a remote secure shell session or anything on this device. But this is what I would try to troubleshoot your problem.

I’m sorry to say this, but I suspect a fried motherboard.

If this suggestion doesn’t work, that’s bad. I hope it’s not like that.
However, it would definitely make sense to consider a UPS.

I had it originally attached to an Audioquest Surge/Power Conditioner which I had attached to a UPS. The power outages were more of multiple flashes of power, which were too fast, I believe for the Surge/Power Conditioner combo to handle. I have moved the Nucleus directly to the UPS now. But, I have had no luck trying to load the Core.

Since your Nucleus is showing up as ROCK might mean you have a corrupted file somewhere in Roon. I know that when you install a new M.2 drive and install Roon, it shows up as ROCK until Roon @support works their magic to install the passive cooling tweak.

I would plug the Nucleus into a TV or monitor and see what message you get on the screen. That might tell you if there is a hardware issue. If not, it’s possible you could do a full reinstall of Roon from scratch. I would not do that until @support gets involved.

3 Likes

I wish support would get involved. I would like to know if I need to send the unit in for repair or if it’s some fix they can do remotely. To me the box needs a reset. Unfortunately, the Nucleus doesn’t come with a reset button.

The first thing support will ask you is to do exactly what two fellow users suggested.

Do you have a specific reason that makes you hesitate?
It may be a bit of a hassle to fiddle with cables and various equipment, but ultimately, all you need to do is connect the Nucleus to a TV with HDMI and connect a USB keyboard to the Nucleus.
After that you will know more, and so will the support team. Without this procedure, nobody can know what’s going on, in any way.
Pinging @support for you again.

They will but they don’t work on a weekend and in any case will probably take longer until they get to you because they don’t have enough staff and are working through the queue one after the other

I tried the reset network instructions. My TV had part of the dialog off the screen, so I had to hope part of what I typed that didn’t show was typed correctly. It looked like it reset. I connected it back to my network and ran arp -a and the 192.168.1.66 was no longer in the arp table.

I reloaded the Roon Software (previously did an uninstall to start fresh). I then started Roon and it still didn’t find the Core. I selected help and typed the 192.168.1.66 address in and the address then showed up in the arp table.

I’m still stuck on the “looking for the core” screen. I will keep letting it run, but resetnetwork doesn’t seem to have fixed the problem.

Hello John, I’m sorry about that because it’s not a good sign. Roon support will be able to see when your Nucleus was last active and reachable for the Roon servers.
Maybe you can add the info when you bought the Nucleus, if it’s still under warranty.

@Suedkiez, @John_Lee2 - I’ve seen a couple of reports like this in the forum before: a power outage corrupts a Nucleus and it starts identifying itself as a ROCK installation. I fear that @support will definitely need to get involved here; I don’t think we can fix it ourselves.

1 Like

I think that’s exactly the problem. The good news is it’s relatively easy to install ROCK on Nucleus and then Roon @support migrates from ROCK to Nucleus.

While true, of course, even if it thinks it’s a Rock it should probably still be discoverable and working, so I guess there might be two separate issues

No, I’m not saying it’s just the ROCK to Nucleus file that’s corrupted. I’m saying something about Roon is corrupted and can be resolved with a new install. The fact that it identifies as ROCK is just a symptom that something is wrong. This is all speculation, of course.

Right, good point. Whatever corrupted the file(s) identifying it as a Nucleus may well have corrupted other things leading to the not working issue :+1:

How do I get support to look at the problem? I’ve been without a working Nucleus for almost a week now. By the way thanks for your help in trying to fix my problem.

By patience :slight_smile: They are trying to keep up. You had the problem for a week but your thread has been there for two days over a weekend. It’s in the right place here in #support:nucleus-support and they will see it

Appreciated :heart: