After rebuild NAS with music library all informations "played" and manually added tags are lost

Roon Core Machine

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix
Windows 10 20H2
Intel(R) Core™ i7-3667U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
RAM 8,00 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

AVM Fritzbox 7590

Connected Audio Devices

WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra
Naim ND5 XS 2

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hi,
one of the discs in my NAS crashed. After replacing it and rebuilding the Volume (Raid 0). I created the share with the exact name as before crash and didn’t change the still existing storage location path in ROON.
When starting the copy of my locally saved music files to the share \mycloudex2ultra\StorageMZA\Backup D\Users\Manfred\Music ROON recognised immediately the albums.
Unfortunately all informations which files are already played and all manually added Tags are lost.
Is there any chance to get this information back?
Kind regards
Manfred

a hard disk problem without a backup is always a fresh start. I bought a data recovery program from easeUs in 2014 to recover an external hard drive with 350,000 music tracks, it worked 99.9% of the time. A handful were lost and Roon fished out a few broken ones too. With a database I would be more skeptical, if there is only one small error, even this PC Doctor will fail.

Hi Uwe,
I thought/think that the meta data like tags are part of the database and are not stored in the music library. Apparently they are linked to internal objects which are not based (only) on the file attributes like the path in the windows share. I didn’t change the share or any file names,
Looking for example at this flac-file:
“\mycloudex2ultra\StorageMZA\Backup D\Users\Manfred\Music\Jazz\Al Di Meola (1976) - Land of the Midnight Sun\01. Al Di Meola - The Wizard.flac”.
The complete path and creation date 08.01.2012 are absolutely identical before and after the crash and rebuild.

Roon does not change the music data, but makes its own records of tags, pictures, how often listened to, etc.

If just that was lost without backup, it is just gone.

Hi Uwe,
I agree that the music files are never changed by Roon. Do you know where these informations are stored? “Only” the NAS crashed, but the core installation on my dedicated notebook wasn’t impacted i.e the stored informations of the core database should have survived.

that sounds much better. if Roon Core is installed on the Lenovo under Windows 10, it should be here:

…/Users/…AppData/Local/Roon/

But the user folder Appdata is hidden by default, so that beginners do not break. This setting can be changed in explorer.

If you are not doing so, you should be making database backups. The individual elements, like playlists, favorited tracks are not separate for you to just “copy out”; they are only saved on a full backup, and, recovered on a full restore.

Also, being paranoid, I backup weekly; and I also backup monthly and save the last 5 months on monthly backups, in case, there has been an unknown database issue and I need to return to an earlier backup.

You paranoid? I have Roon set for an automated backup every morning at 2:00am!

Hi @Manfred_Zabel, do you have a backup from before this occurred? If so, I’d advise restoring that.

If not, can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage to start?

Hi @dylan,
my scheduled backups were on the crashed NAS, because I thought I should use a different location than the drive of the core notebook.
The only backup before the crash is quite old and created with 1.8 build 764 instead of the actual build 814. Do you think it’s usefull at all? I have an actual database backup and could give it chance.

Hi,
I’ve restored my 6 month old backup. Rather just lose 6 month than everything.
In the future I will replicate my database backups from NAS 1 to NAS 2 to be safe in case of NAS crash and/or corrupt database and/or Core crash.
Thank you all for the feedback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.