After recent updates my airplay devices have disappeared [Under investigation - "Open vSwitch"]

Here the same problem, suddenly my two airplay devices disappeared in the Roon client (windows) after an update a few weeks ago. Reboot de Coreserver, devices and router didn’t help. Both devices are accessible direct from all ios devices (iphone and ipad) e.g. outside Roon.

Are there other options to try?

Best regards,
Léon

Hi @Leon_Jehae ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us. I am sorry to hear of the troubles. I went ahead and split your post out to it’s own topic so I can address this behavior with you directly.

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• My assumption is that you have updated to 1.4 and the issue is still present, correct?

• Can you please provide the make/model of the airplay devices that are not being recognized by the application.

• Since noticing this behavior (besides the mentioned updates) have there been any other changes to your setup that you can think of?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

1.) I’ve updated to 1.4 indeed but the problem still exists

2.) The two airplay devices are : Yamaha R-N500 and Yamaha ISX80

3.) i don’t have any clue, like i said, rebooted the router/firewall (pfsense), both devices en rebooted Roon Core several times.

Best regards,

Léon

Hi @Leon_Jehae ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions!

Moving forward, after you and I had initially “spoke” I set up a quick test with two Airplay based devices and two cores (One running 1.3 b276 and the other running 1.4) to see if I could potentially reproduce this issue. It’s been about 3 hours of constant playback and restarting both cores, no issues thus far.

In light of my findings, I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account so we can try to get a better sense as to what could be causing the issue with the mentioned Yamaha devices. Furthermore, if you have any other network based endpoints have they experienced any issues or have they remained stable?

Lastly, may I very kindly ask you to please briefly describe your current network configuration/topology being sure to provide insight into any networking hardware that you are currently implementing.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Currently ím using also an NADC390DD2 and an Auralic Aries mini as Roonendpoints, The NAD is wired and the Auralic is wireless. The NAD is connected to an HP Procurve 1820-24G-PoE+ (185W) Switch (J9983A)

The firewall/router i’m using is a selfbuild pfsense based on a pcengines MOBO and also connected to the HP Procurve, the firewall has no buildin WIFI.

As for the WIFI i’m using three DEVOLO dlan 1200+ powerline adapters. The Yamaha ISX80 is wireless connected, the Yamaha R-N500 is wired but through another powerlineadapter.

As a Roon Core i used a NUC6i5 with 8GB of ram en 128GB m2.ssd but now switched to an Synology DS918+ (with 12GB of ram and a USB3.0 128GB SSD) The music resides also on the NAS.

Both works fine and stable with the wireless Auralic and wired NAD. Altough the Yamaha airplay devices are working fine outside Roon i could restart all powerline adapters, that i didn’t do so far.

Futher the Auralic is also connected (wireless) through an powerline adapter but it’s worth a shot.

Best regards,

Léon

Hi @Leon_Jehae ----- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback! My apologies for the wait wait here, things are bit slow due to the holiday season so your continued patience has been appreciated.

Moving forward, I wanted to touch base to let you know that I checked our servers today and it looks like we have not yet received the diagnostics report mentioned in my previous post. When we enable diagnostics on an account this action should automatically generate/upload a a diagnostics report containing up to Roon logs directly to our servers when the software is active on the core machine. In light of this, I have enable diagnostics once more and the next time your core is up and running the report should be uploaded. I will keep an eye out :wink:

Furthermore, I also wanted to check in and see if any new observations or progress has been made with the mentioned airplay devices. Looking forward to your update!

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply, my core machine is up and running (as always) and unfortunately there is no progress with the mentioned airplay devices. Both are still working well, but only outside Roon.

Best regards,
Léon

I have 2 AirPlay devices behaving normally , Cambridge Audio CXN and Onkyo TX. RZ 800 for what it’s worth.

I am on 1.4

Mike

Hi @Leon_Jehae ----- Thank you for the follow up! Can you verify for me if you have “open vSwitch” enabled on the NAS? If you do, would you kindly disable that function and let me know if the airplay devices are found?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I had installed indeed virtual manager on my Synology DS918+
Disabled it and now all the Airplay devices are back, you’re the best.:grinning:

Any idea to use them simultaneously? If not, than i prefer virtual manager above the Airplay devices.

Best regards,
Léon

Hi @Leon_Jehae ----- Thank you for the follow up, I am glad to hear that the suggested adjustment has helped.

Moving forward, I had a chance to discuss this behavior you’ve experienced with our CTO last week just before the holiday weekend and we are going to do some testing in our QA lab to try and understand why this setting is causing this issue. Once the techs have completed their testing and my report is updated, I will be sure to follow up with you promptly.

Your patience is greatly appreciated while we conduct our investigation. All the best to you and your loved ones in 2018!
-Eric

I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 which is capable of Airplay but Roon does not seee it on the Network, my ipad does.

Hello @ManInTheHighCastle,

We are investigating reports of Synology devices not being able to discovery Airplay devices under certain circumstances. We will be sure to update this thread when we have more information.

-John

I had to disable the “Open vSwitch” Option in the settings as mentioned here: Don't see any Airplay or Chromecast Devices

It’s not the best solution since some features of the Synology need that option but it’s a fix for now.