Age Distribution of Roon Users

I certainly hope this poll isn’t showing that Roon users die earlier than the general population?

I must get my actuarial pension advisor to have a look at this. I’d hate to be indulging in a dangerous pursuit that could have my pension outliving me :smile:

.sjb

People under 30 are listening on their phones using Spotify. My research? 3 grandsons, although 2 of them have turntables and have started collecting vinyl!

Yep, vinyl is the new craze.

Vinyl is what we used for cheap carpeting. Once upon a time…

1 Like

Hi, I’ve participated, looks like I‘m adding up to the major user population !:grin:

Agreed, most music consumption these days is via streaming. Sonos tapped this trend and really focused their products on this market, to the detriment of those of us with local music collections. Qobuz and Tidal (and now Amazon) have shifted the higher end towards streaming as well. My purchases of CDs and hi-rez downloads dropped off considerably since I subscribed to Qobuz. Roon’s support here allows me to add CD or hi-rez quality albums to my collection so it becomes seamless. The downside is if the music drops off the streaming service you lose it.

Why is streaming “to the detriment of those of us with local music collections”? It doesn’t seem like one would affect the other.

I understood @Mark_Hellkamp to say Sonos focused on streaming, to the detriment of those with local music libraries. I know nothing about Sonos, so I have no idea if they support local music or not.

It’s obvious from the poll results, people under 40 don’t have good enough hearing to appreciate a lossless signal path. Or perhaps it was income, I can’t remember.

2 Likes

Definitely ‘not good enough hearing’.

Correct, Sonos shifted their strategy to focus on streaming rather than local music. To be fair that’s where the market is so it makes sense for them. But it did leave those of us who have local music collections with a fairly stale feature set and a ~64k track limit due to memory constraints. They touted the Plex integration as a way around the track limit, though this had its own set of limitations. My major issue with Sonos is that they don’t (and have no plans to) support hi-rez files. Again, not the market they have chosen to pursue, but it is frustrating as a long time Sonos customer. Luckily Roon provides a path to bridge this, but it would be nice to see a tighter integration with that.

On the contrary. I would say that it is obvious that non-ABX testing is entitled to claim that an adult human has good enough hearing to appreciate a lossless signal path but an Owl, an Elephant and a Tuna doesn’t.

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

That’s probably because the Tuna doesn’t have a decent pair of Cans🤠

3 Likes

I need to get my ears properly tested. I did one of those on-line frequency tests a while back and I was entirely average for my age. I couldn’t hear a thing above 11khz. I would probably test worse now. Not sure exactly what it is that audiophiles in the roon demographic are actually hearing.

11KHz I HOPE YOU MEANT…thought I better shout in case it’s really what you meant :wink:

I’m not that great after 8KHz so count yourself lucky :roll_eyes:

Qops. Not even sure how low 11hz is! Maybe its a weapon to blow up your spleen.

Something you would normally feel and maybe see…like your speakers wobbling around the room :rofl:

https://www.worldometers.info/demographics/demographics-of-europe/#age-structure

May be of interest to align the roon curve to general population: here is the population data for Europe to get more insight.