Airband (UK) with Mesh System (Linksys Velop-based): ARC Port Forwarding Failures

Is this the same issue with Airband FTTH? The error I get is as follows:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“193.ddd.eee.hhh”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“>\n<s:Body>\n<s:Fault>\ns:Client\nUPnPError\n\n<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">\n501\nPAL_UPNP_SOAP_E_ACTION_FAILED\n\n\n</s:Fault>\n</s:Body>\n</s:Envelope>\n”}
}

Scott.

Hi @Scott_Brown,

If your provider isn’t T-Mobile, then the timeout you’re experiencing might not necessarily be at the provider level. Please first try the following troubleshooting steps:

Please first try the following steps:

• Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router directly upstream from your Core
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode

If you’ve already verified that you don’t have a second NAT layer in your local network, then specify your provider and networking hardware, and we’ll split your post into a dedicated thread.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

Thanks Connor.

My provider is Airband (UK). I have FTTP and an ISP provided mesh system (based on Linksys Velop).

UPnP is enabled
NAT is enabled
I am not using VPN
I have opted for a static IP address for my Nucleus
External and internal ports match
The Linksys AP is set to DHCP not bridging mode

Scott.

1 Like

Hi @Scott_Brown,

Thank you for the clarification. Since you have a separate provider from T-Mobile (USA), I’ve split your post into a dedicated thread to provide more direct and precise troubleshooting steps.

First off, do you have the latest firmware on the Linksys-based mesh setup? Since outdated UPnP protocols can present security risks, many routers will shadow-disable UPnP by default if the router firmware and security settings aren’t up-to-date. For due diligence, it’s worth restarting the router and both upstream/downstream network hardware to kick any automatic updates.

Scanning through some previous posts by users with Airband UK, as well as external troubleshooting forums for fibre networks, there’s strong evidence that your ISP has in fact implemented carrier-grade NAT on your account. To open a new front in our efforts, it’s likely worth reaching out to your provider to inquire about a dedicated public IP address for your account. The vast majority of users stranded behind carrier-grade NAT have resolved their situation and successfully configured port forwarding by this method, although it occasionally requires a price adjustment on your ISP account.

Additional steps to try:

1. You can set a manual port forwarding rule in your router’s web administration page. Usually, there is a dedicated port forwarding section where you can specify a static local IP address and destination port, which would match the settings you’ve configured in Roon → Settings → ARC.
  2. Toggle UPnP on/off in the access points and main router. Sometimes, you simply need to jumpstart the UPnP stack for the Core to pick it up.

We’ll be standing by for your response. Thank you!

Thanks Connor.

1. Do I have the latest firmware installed. Yes - confirmed in the Linksys App
  2. Have I tried restarting the router? Yes - several times
  3. Dedicated public IP address - I will contact Airband to see if this can be set up for me
  4. Have I tried manual port-forwarding? Yes, matched with settings in Roon
  5. Firewall on/off? No change
  6. Toggle UPnP on/off? Yes - has not made a difference.

I think I have to wait for Airband to get back to me on the subject of a dedicated public IP address.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Scott.

1 Like

Hi @Scott_Brown,

Thank you for the update. We’ll be standing by to assist once they’ve responded to your inquiry.

Hi Scott… I’m in the same boat with Airband…
Did you get this resolved by any chance?
Mike

Sadly not Mike…Airband have been completely useless in terms of customer support…dont answer calls, don’t respond to online contact forms or emails. I have almost given up.
Scott.

Hi @Scott_Brown,

We’re very sorry to hear that port forwarding is still an obstacle to you enjoying Roon outside the home.

Are there any new diagnostic messages listed in Roon → Settings → ARC after updating to the latest version of Roon and ARC today? @Michael_Evans1, do you have any diagnostics visible in Settings → ARC? Please paste them below as well if so. While it’s likely you’re both encountering Airband’s CG-NAT, we do want to investigate the possibility that we could troubleshoot your setup without involving the ISP, and there’s a chance at least one of the issues here is resolvable.

I’ve done a little digging, and it does appear that Airband has offered customers static or dedicated external IP addresses in the past, but only after the customer applies significant pressure. See the Twitter exchange, for example https://twitter.com/ukairband/status/1318503992054419456

In the meantime, Roon’s developers continue to make progress on connectivity mechanisms that will democratize access to ARC even with restrictive internet service providers. Additionally, we’re shoring up our support team resources to more precisely diagnose and assist port forwarding cases moving forward. Hopefully, this issue won’t persist much longer.

Hi Connor,

I have updated to the latest version today. My Nucleus+ is on a fixed IP address with port 55000 open on my router. Still no joy, I’m afraid.

Here are the diagnostics:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“193.ddd.eee.fff”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“>\n<s:Body>\n<s:Fault>\ns:Client\nUPnPError\n\n<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">\n501\nPAL_UPNP_SOAP_E_ACTION_FAILED\n\n\n</s:Fault>\n</s:Body>\n</s:Envelope>\n”}
}

Thanks.
Scott.

Hi Connor

Here is the latest screenshot after todays update… I have tried a different port too.
Kind regards
Mike

Hi @Michael_Evans1,

Could you post a screenshot of your port forwarding rule?

Kind regards,

Maarten.

Here is the latest one… I have tried a few different ports…

Hi @Michael_Evans1,

I have one suggestion left. Could you check if your ISP has implemented CG-NAT?

Maarten.

Hi Maarten,

I have just looked at the link you provided above and it looks like we are in CG-NAT land.

The IP address is in the 100.64.0.1 to 100.127.255.254 range and I get a different IP address when I use WhatsmyIP compared to my WAN IP.

Scott.

Hi Scott
I communicated with them via their twitter account and they were great.
Static ip implemented and arc up and running!
Excellent news.
Mike

Hi Mike,
glad you managed to get a static IP and ARC is now working for you.
I will try the twitter approach…
Thanks,
Scott.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.