Airplay suddenly stops working correctly

My system is running the Roon server on a Windows 10 core i5 Acer PC with Crucial SSD drive with an ethernet connection. I have three Yamaha Airplay compatible devices througout my house. The study device is ethernet connected, the lounge device is ethernet connected via a plug in mains adaptor and the bedroom is a wireless connection to my network.

I usually get Classic FM through Roon, running on the main PC with my three grouped Airplay devices. Airplay always starts perfectly and plays out with full Roon control over my three devices. Airplay can run like this for an hour or so with no problems, then suddenly changes, with all audio output from each device sounding garbled and very wrong. This continues and does’nt stop unless I re-start the PC, after which all is well again. There is no particular time at which this can happen. It seems quite random.

Really stuck on this one.

Thanks

Alistair

Hi @Alistair_Blaikie ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Sorry to hear of the troubles and my apologies for the slow response here.

Moving forward, in regard to this behavior you are reporting with your grouped airplay zones. When the issue occurs what you are hearing is some kind of distortion in the sound, correct? The devices remain in sync with one another but the sound being produce isn’t right, yes?

Furthermore, I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can try to get a better sense as to why you are experiencing this behavior with the mentioned audio zones. With this in mind would you kindly reproduce the issue and note the time of day when the error occurred. Once I have this information I will go ahead and enable the mentioned diagnostics as this action will automatically generate/upload a diagnostics report to our servers containing an up to date set of your Roon logs.

-Eric