Alarm Clock Extension stopped working

I have the Alarm Clock extension v 0.7.2 which has been working up until today.
This morning the alarm did not happen. On investigation I find I cannot edit any of the alarms or add a new one.
I have restarted the core and I have restarted the machine it is running on and I have restarted the remotes.

You are running the extensions on a QNAP, right?

Does the Alarm Clock extension still appear in the extension overview in the Roon Settings? What happens when you press the Settings button?

It might help if you can provide a screenshot.

Yes, it is on a QNAP.
I restarted everything, including the QNAP.
Here is the screenshot:

After I make a change to one of the alarms it looks like this, but never changes:

The screenshots are helpful.

So when you select Save you get the animated Roon icon and it never finishes. Can you cancel this by pressing outside the Settings dialog?

I haven’t seen this before, so I’m guessing here, but it might be caused by corrupted settings or an invalid character in the settings. I initially thought that the special character in the station name (RTÉ Lyric FM) could be the cause, but I added it to one of my internet radio stations and I could not reproduce the problem.

Let’s try to get our hands on the settings file. Can you get a command prompt on the container via Container Station or can you get ssh access to your QNAP?

I can cancel this by clicking outside the Settings dialogue.
You asked whether I could get a command prompt on the container.
I did this and I renamed the config file. Then I opened the extension again and recreated the alarms, they saved and worked.
Unfortunately Container Station did not keep the renamed config file when it recreated the new config file. I had done a cat of the file which was still in the terminal, so I think this is what it looks like:

{                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    "settings": {                                                                                                                                                                                   
        "selected_timer": 3,                                                                                                                                                                        
        "alarm_count": 5,                                                                                                                                                                           
        "profile": "Bart",                                                                                                                                                                          
        "timer_active_0": true,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "zone_0": {                                                                                                                                                                                 
            "output_id": "17012cb993c7e730eeb54c2c2671a98bedcd",                                                                                                                                    
            "name": "Beoplay M3"                                                                                                                                                                    
        },                                                                                                                                                                                          
        "wake_action_0": 1,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "wake_day_0": 9,                                                                                                                                                                            
        "wake_time_0": "07:00",                                                                                                                                                                     
        "wake_volume_0": "60",                                                                                                                                                                      
        "transition_type_0": 0,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "transition_time_0": "3",                                                                                                                                                                   
        "transfer_zone_0": null,                                                                                                                                                                    
        "repeat_0": true,                                                                                                                                                                           
        "source_type_0": 3,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "source_entry_0": "BBC Radio 3",                                                                                                                                                            
        "config_rev": 4,                                                                                                                                                                            
        "timer_active_1": true,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "zone_1": {                                                                                                                                                                                 
            "output_id": "17012cb993c7e730eeb54c2c2671a98bedcd",                                                                                                                                    
            "name": "Beoplay M3"                                                                                                                                                                    
        },                                                                                                                                                                                          
        "wake_action_1": 0,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "wake_day_1": 9,                                                                                                                                                                            
        "wake_time_1": "07:05",                                                                                                                                                                     
        "wake_volume_1": 100,                                                                                                                                                                       
        "transition_type_1": 0,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "transition_time_1": "3",                                                                                                                                                                   
        "transfer_zone_1": null,   
        "repeat_1": true,                                                                                                                                                                           
        "source_type_1": 0,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "source_entry_1": null,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "timer_active_2": true,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "zone_2": {                                                                                                                                                                                 
            "output_id": "17018afb7e643d761b8d19f04f64370050a0",                                                                                                                                    
            "name": "Squeezebox Touch"                                                                                                                                                              
        },                                                                                                                                                                                          
        "wake_action_2": 0,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "wake_day_2": 0,                                                                                                                                                                            
        "wake_time_2": "10:00",                                                                                                                                                                     
        "wake_volume_2": 100,                                                                                                                                                                       
        "transition_type_2": 0,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "transition_time_2": "3",                                                                                                                                                                   
        "transfer_zone_2": null,                                                                                                                                                                    
        "repeat_2": true,                                                                                                                                                                           
        "source_type_2": 0,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "source_entry_2": null,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "timer_active_3": true,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "zone_3": {                                                                                                                                                                                 
            "output_id": "17018afb7e643d761b8d19f04f64370050a0",                                                                                                                                    
            "name": "Squeezebox Touch"                                                                                                                                                              
        },                                                                                                                                                                                          
        "wake_action_3": 1,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "wake_day_3": 0,  
        "wake_time_3": "19:00",                                                                                                                                                                     
        "wake_volume_3": "60",                                                                                                                                                                      
        "transition_type_3": 0,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "transition_time_3": "3",                                                                                                                                                                   
        "transfer_zone_3": null,                                                                                                                                                                    
        "repeat_3": true,                                                                                                                                                                           
        "source_type_3": 3,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "source_entry_3": "RTÉ Lyric FM",                                                                                                                                                           
        "timer_active_4": false,                                                                                                                                                                    
        "zone_4": null,                                                                                                                                                                             
        "wake_action_4": 1,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "wake_day_4": 7,                                                                                                                                                                            
        "wake_time_4": "07:00",                                                                                                                                                                     
        "wake_volume_4": null,                                                                                                                                                                      
        "transition_type_4": 0,                                                                                                                                                                     
        "transition_time_4": "3",                                                                                                                                                                   
        "transfer_zone_4": null,                                                                                                                                                                    
        "repeat_4": false,                                                                                                                                                                          
        "source_type_4": 0,                                                                                                                                                                         
        "source_entry_4": null                                                                                                                                                                      
    },                                                                                                                                                                                              
    "roonstate": {                                                                                                                                                                                  
        "tokens": {                                                                                                                                                                                 
            "a3d7f0a5-2235-4e79-bc6b-b57059a6bea5": "5d3adf94-4a4c-46a5aa08-098e419bf789",                                                                                                         
            "2dce4bf1-c9c3-45c2-aca7-e8ad92081857": "2816c8c9-5dab-40c5-9b32-19b0d00043f7"                                                                                                          
        },                                                                                                                                                                                          
        "paired_core_id": "2dce4bf1-c9c3-45c2-aca7-e8ad92081857"                                                                                                                                    
    } 

One thing that immediately stands out is the profile name - I had just linked to my last.fm account which changed my Roon profile name. The old config file has my original profile name. Could this be the problem?

1 Like

You tracked it down!

I manually changed the profile name in my configuration file and got the behavior that you described. With a non-existing profile name in the configuration there is a dash in the profile dropdown and if you select an existing one then you can save again.

I will see if I can fix this in a future update.

After having the alarm clock functioning properly for quite a while, I recently found that the alarm clock is no longer working. When entering into the Extensions tab, the alarm clock extension is still there, but when trying to go into the Alarm Clock settings, I get a screen which doesn’t allow me to modify the settings. Only to « cancel » or « save ». After clicking one of these buttons my Roon remote app crashes.

My setup

• Roon Core on Rock: latest version
  • Raspberry pi with Ropieee: latest version
  • Alarm clock extension: 0.8.2

Removing the alarm clock in Ropieee, and then re-activating didn’t help.

@Jan_Koudijs , @spockfish what’s going wrong?
Feedback id: 8a3ba74fa020beb2

That the extension is not shown in the background in the screenshot of the Settings dialog indicates that the extension has crashed.

@spockfish, is the ouput of the Alarm Clock captured?

SOLVED!

I reinstalled my PI by flashing the SD card with the latest version of Ropieee, and now everything works again.
I noted that in the Alarm Clock extension, there is a field for «Profile » which I haven’t seen before. I guess this caused the problem!

Thanks @spockfish and @Jan_Koudijs for all the good work!

1 Like