Alarm Function / Wakeup Timer : Scheduling music and streaming services by date, time and zone

+1 for an alarm.

I have two lifetime licenses, and in many ways Roon is a brilliant piece of software. I have asked for an alarm clock function for some time.

To me it is really important to use Roon to wake me up in the morning, playing my favourite station. Today, I have four Bluesound players as Roon endpoints, and my bedroom radio starts at 6am, the bathroom radio at 0615 and my kitchen by 0630. They all stops at 0745, and I can go to work. But as Roon doesnā€™t have this function, I have to use BluesoundĀ“s internal alarm, but it shouldnā€™t be necessary to ulitlize several pieces of software to do this.

And hey - Iā€™m not talking about the Alarm clock extension, which plays only what you stopped the day before, limited number of start/stops, have to ping some server etc, and doesnā€™t work at all on Roon ROCK (my system) or nucleus.

The majority of roon competitors have been offering this FOR YEARS (Squeezebox for 10+ years, Sonos and Bluesound for starters). PLEASE, Roon!!!

No doubt, you are right about it being a comparatively simple thing to do. On the other hand, roon, like all software development companies, has to very carefully allocate their development and testing resources to best serve the entire roon community (which none of us as individual users has a good, holistic understanding of).

This seems like a feature that could be added via the API. You might want to post a request there to see if any of the API add-on developers would want to work on this.

Best of luck

If I recall correctly, thereā€™s an extension that does this already. If youā€™re willing to set up the extension infrastructureā€¦ Not exactly the same as built-in support for alarms as you requested, but itā€™s close enough maybe?

See my initial question"And hey - Iā€™m not talking about the Alarm clock extension, as this is crippleware (plays only what you stopped the day before, limited number of start/stops, have to ping some server etc) and doesnā€™t work at all on Roon ROCK (my system) or nucleus (for the wealthy)."

Somehow I missed that. My bad.

Like all extensions, it doesnā€™t have to run on ROCK or the Nucleus directly. Iā€™ve got all my extensions running quite happily on RPi endpoints. My ROCK Core picks them all up and displays them on every client in the Roon Extensions screen.

Canā€™t deny. Extensions are limited by what is provided by the Roon API. Unfortunately extensions canā€™t extend the Roon UI (what if we could long press / right click an album and select it as a wake-up source? wouldnā€™t it be nice?).

If I counted correctly you need 6 alarms (3 starts, 3 stops). The Alarm Clock extension has a maximum of 10 alarms (since the release of version 0.6.0).

Almost correct, but I have a different schedule at weekends, so I need 12 alarms. But the deal is that my server is a Rock, which doesnā€™t do extensions. Sorryā€¦

Didnā€™t know that. But stillā€¦the extension still only plays what was playing when user stopped playback? No choice of other source, like ā€œPlay the BBC1 on every weekday at 6 AM for 2 hoursā€ and ā€œPlay the BBC2 on Saturday/sunday at 8 AM for one hourā€?

1 Like

@danny has indicated that there are plans to change this, no ETA.

How could I forget about the weekends? :slight_smile:

Makes me wonder why I havenā€™t implemented a ā€˜Stop all zonesā€™ alarm, that would bring the number down to 8 (Stop all zones at 07:45).

Software dev is a taking the fat end of the triangle and getting bang for the dev hour investment, then doing the pointy end at some point in the future. Your best chance is if someone in the dev team also needs alarms and champions that service. :slight_smile:
There are many people who feel that a particular requirement is vital and should be higher up the dev list, but they may be seen as off the main architectural line for roon, fairly niche or just not worth doing. Play by folder, ISO support. meta data import come to mind. They canā€™t all be done and then it comes down to the conference call, coffee and a timelineā€¦

+1 for an alarm clock!

Meanwhile we have a sleep timer function, I also like the experience of Roon 1.8, but I miss really an usable alarm clock! In my opinion this should be a basic function integrated into the core system. Please ROON!

2 Likes

I was pleased when you added the sleep timer function to Roon. It would be very nice if you could add a alarm timer function, so that I can wake up with my favourite radio station, album or playlist.

Because I run Roon on an Intel NUC with Roon OS I am not able to install third party functionality for an alarm timer.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I can echo @ChrisBerlin, an alarm timer function would really be a great addition. I use an extension for this so far, but it does not work reliably. Therefore, please add this in a future release please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @ customer success team,
an alarm clock would be really nice.
A lot of multi room systems have such gadgets.
I have nice radio alarm system in my bedroom (Devialet with B&W 805 + DB2) and an alarm clock is missing.
The sleep mode from roon worked even better than from Bluesound (but they have fixed it with some of the last updates)
I tried to install all the stuff (Roon extension manager + alarm clock (nodejs,ā€¦)) and to be honest I gave up. Nothing worked under WIN 10 20H2. If there is someone out with a step by step guidance - Iā€™ll try it again, otherwise not.
The installation guidelines I found are for IT professionals I guess.
I didnā€™t even know what they were talking about. :cry:
Alarm clock as a Christmas present 2021? :+1:

3 Likes

I agree an alarm function would be awesome and the most useful so you can wake up to Roon rather than adverts and yet another competition on the radio

I have a Roon Nucleus and it has transformed my listening habits and opened up new artists via Room Radio BIG THANK YOU ROON TEAM

Love Roon but donā€™t really want to add an extension as would prefer it was built into the core software for the Nucleus.

4 Likes

Hi Roon team, could you add a very simple feature to the next build : option to start reading a playlist or an album or an artist in the future (day + time). I used to do it on my Sonos devices, but now I canā€™t miss ROON and searching in a very large library in SONOS is really painful.
I know there are some plug-ins available to do that but it is complicated to install.
You added the automatic stop (I never use it), next step is the automatic start. Thank you !

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m amazed, but I didnā€™t find a similar feature request.

Itā€™s fast and easy: There is a Roon Sleep Timer, thatā€™s OK. But why isnā€™t there a Roon Wakeup Timer? Just start playing a selected Radio station, playlist or whatever at a certain time of day in a certain zone to help you start into the new day?

E.g. each Mo-Fr at 7:15 or similar. Would be great.

1 Like

There is an existing feature request for this:

Integral to Roon would be nice but there is this in the meantime:

1 Like