Album art flickers on Apple TV 4

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win10
Corei7
16GB Ram
SSD
Latest roon server version

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit Ethernet
Airplay

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Apple TV 4
HDMI

Description Of Issue

Currently running a trial. Loving the product so far. Very small library (so far). 30 albums or so.

Everytime I stream music to my Apple TV 4, the top part (1/3) of the album art flickers on the TV. It does this for any album. If I pause, the flicker stops. If I resume play, the flicker resume. The flickering can be described as some kind of rapid pulse that varies the brightness. There is no other issue - music plays fine.

With Apple Music, once music plays and the same album art is displayed, no flickering occurs.

I can confirm the flickering issue.

I’m using Apple TV4 running TvOS 12.3.

Cheers, Greg

Hi @Patrick_Ouellet

Thanks for reaching out here! I’ve passed this along to the technical team for investigation.

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_Ouellet,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

Anyone else see their album artwork flashing when they AirPlay from Roon to the Apple TV?

Effect looks like this:
https://leonroy.com/personal/videos/roon/IMG_3421.m4v

Guess that’s a ‘yes’, glad to see that it’s identified as a bug to fix.

Hello @Leon_Roy,

I have moved your post to this existing thread regarding the AppleTV album artwork “flicker” issue. We have reproduced this issue internally and are investigating a fix.

-John

1 Like

I kinda like it, gives a nice dynamic feel to the otherwise static screen and seems to flicker “in time” to the music. Maybe develop it further into some sort of VU meter effect and call it a feature?!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.