Album art very slow

Hi @Womaz,

Can you please provide a few timestamps of when this issue occurs? E.g issue occurred on 10/8/20 at 12:05PM and 7:13PM. Once I have this info I can try to enable diagnostics mode for your account.

Yes I will do this the next time it occurs .

Ok I have just deleted a track from an album at 8.30 and it took about 30 seconds

8.35 this morning , searching for an artist >…so slow

8.42 this morning …album art so slow

Also at 14.25 Sunday

Then at 8.38 this morning , took about 15 seconds to go to the next track when I skipped one.

Is anyone looking into this for me ?
I have posted several examples above

1 Like

How is DNS configured for your Nucleus?

Whenever I have had issues with poor performance from streaming services within Roon, (both TIDAL and Qobuz) changing to a non-ISP DNS service like Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) or Google (8.8.8.8) has helped a lot.

I dont know if this would help with the album art issues, that sounds like it might be a local bottleneck, but it may help with TIDAL content access performance.

1 Like

Hi Tim
Thanks for the post, as a non techy guy that has gone way above my head :grinning:

maybe you can post a screen shot of the Nucleus Web GUI page

Hi @Womaz,

Thanks for sharing those above timestamps! I have activated diagnostics mode for your account and what this action should have done is automatically upload a log set, but I am not seeing this log report come in.

Can I please ask that you manually share a set of your Nucleus RoonServer/Logs by using these instructions? If you have any issues accessing the Nucleus logs, just let me know.

Also, as @wizardofoz mentioned, can you please share a screenshot of your Nucleus Web UI? It should look similar to this for reference:

It’s possible that this suggestion could help, but remember that some ISPs completely lock down DNS and don’t allow DNS changes to be made on their routers or via devices attached to their routers.

I currently have metadata problems, primarily when using Ron Radio. Following my initial subscription with Roon, I had a full year without any problems whatsoever, then 5 or 6 months with continual problems followed by a 2 month period of resolution without any issues, and now for the past few months following the release of Roon software build 610, the problems have returned.

Each of these changes has coincided exactly with the installation of specific software updates or builds released by Roon. My ISP, my ISP’s DNS servers and my home network have remained more or less stable over this time. It would be an amazing coincidence if the problems (and short term resolutions) have not been introduced by Roon software changes.

Incidentally, my ISP is one of those which locks in its own DNS services. I have no means of changing DNS without switching to another ISP.

Well you do but it would involve using a static IP address for your core with manually defined DNS servers. But you need to understand a bit of internal setting info on the router.

You can change DNS per device by manually configuring the IP address and associated details.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.
The problem i have is I am not really a tech guy so a lot of this goes way over my head, so I will have to look at the instructions when I get a chance as it will take me some time to get to grips with it i guess.

1 Like

I assume by this, you mean changing DNS on my Windows PC that hosts the Roon control ‘App’?

I have admin access to the router provided by my ISP. I initially attempted to change DNS in my router, but although I can see the DNS settings in the router, they can not be changed. The option to change is ‘greyed out’ and cannot be selected.

I also sought advice some time ago on my ISP customer forum. Members on the forum advised me that although my ISP did at one time support 3rd party DNS configuration, they have now blocked them completely and that even if I were to change DNS settings on my Windows 10 PC, they would be overridden by the ISP.

One suggestion was that I should run my own DNS server on a cheap Linux device such as a Raspberry Pi, but this option does not appeal even if I could logically understand why this would not also be overridden by my ISP.

Sounds like a good reason to jump ship to a better ISP or at least one not so draconian minded.

Not really!

I have been with my current ISP for some 10 or more years, and these have been trouble free years with the exception of the Roon Metadata issue that was introduced for me with Software Release 1.7, resolved then re-introduced with build 610. I have not encountered any DNS issues whatsoever outside of Roon.

I can’t recall any ISP outages, and on the few occasions I have had to contact them, their support desk has been excellent. I have a package deal with my ISP which provides high speed broadband, telephone land line, multi-room TV, movies and sports with which I am delighted. I would not be able to get as good a package deal elsewhere.

Why should I change my ISP just to resolve a little metadata problem that I believe to be something that has been introduced by a Roon software update. I am sorry to say that as much as I like Roon (and I like it very much despite the Roon Radio metadata issues), I would abandon Roon before abandoning my current ISP. I almost certainly will not do this though, because for the time being I can put up with this one Roon issue no matter how annoying it might be.

By the way, my issue (raised in a separate thread) is that Roon Radio sometimes displays full metadata for tracks it selects, but intermittently can be missing album artwork, background photos, artist or track details. Missing metadata can be any one, more than one or all of these. Issue first introduced with Software version 1.7 and re-introduced by build 610.

Yes you could do it on your Roon remote machine. But ideally you configure third-party DNS on your Roon Core/Server machine as well, as that is dealing directly with the streaming platforms on the internet. Again this would be done by setting a static IP address on the Core/Server machine and setting the relevant external DNS configuration.

If you manually change the DNS server on your Core and Remote machines there is no way the ISP can override them locally. They may block access to other DNS services on their network I suppose, but that would be pretty unusual in my experience.

Simple test would be to attempt to ping Google or Cloudflare DNS servers from one of your machines.

Hi @Womaz,

When you are ready to pick this back up again, please provide this info:

Thanks!