Album, Artist and Track name not shown on Chromecast built in receiver

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK Version 1.0 (build 174) stable/Version 1.6 (build 416) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Not relevant

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sony STR-DN1080 with Chromecast built in

Description Of Issue

Album, Artist and Track name not shown on Chromecast built in receiver on TV.
Tidal and Spotify show this info

Hi @Bogdan_Dorin,

Are you using this Chromecast as a display or as an edpoint? Can you share an image of what you’re seeing exactly?

I

Is used as endpoint, is not display supported (receiver emulate a chromecast audio) but show info on tv.

Hi @Bogdan_Dorin,

Thanks for the additional information here. At this time this is not something we support.

If this is something you’d like to see supported in Roon, I would recommend also posting your suggestion in the 'feature request" section of the site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Hello,

I think this was a part of chromecast specifications that wasn’t implemented, not a optional feature.
For Airplay the metadata is streamed.
Thats why I think that it should stay at support.

Thank you

Right now, Chromecast devices do not support updating metadata during playback, so this information can only be updated when a track stops or starts.

In order to support gapless playback, Roon sends audio to Chromecast devices (and other protocols) as a continuous audio stream, so there are no track boundaries at which we could update the information displayed. Unfortunately, there’s no way Roon could send this information and keep it up to date on these devices while also supporting gapless playback to Chromecast devices.

If Google implements a change here, we can definitely revisit this. For now, note that it is possible to use one of Google’s Chromecast devices on your TV (in conjunction with playback from the Sony AVR) to display track metadata, lyrics, artist photos, and more on your TV.

Thank you, I will use as suggested. It makes sense now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.