Album covers VERY slow to load

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini 1.4 GHz i5, macOS 10.15.6, RoonServer Version 1.7, build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router: CenturyLink Actiontec 3000A, Gigabit Fiber connection, Roon Core connected via Ethernet cable to router. Internet speed and connection both good and stable.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audio connections via WiFi, RAAT on Ropieee on RPi 3b. Audio plays flawlessly. WiFi speed good and stable.

Core controlled via iOS devices both running latest iOS version of Roon Remote.

Description Of Issue

Since latest update album cover art has been extremely slow to load. Doesn’t matter whether it is library or Tidal/ Qobuz.

I’ve rebooted Core, Router and remotes. Deleted caches on all devices. Deleted and reinstalled Roon Remote on iPad. Logged out of both Tidal and Qobuz and logged back in. Also have Roon Remote installed on a MacBook Air and it has the same cover loading issue. Memory for artwork set to 512 MB, up from minimum, neither choice makes any difference in speed of artwork loading.

All worked well until last update.

Hello @Bob_Worley, thanks for your report! Have you tried changing to Google or Cloudflare DNS to see if this helps? Just to clarify, you’re seeing this on multiple remotes?

I am already using Google DNS. Yes, the problem was on all remotes.

Finally, I renamed the Roon database and rebooted. Let Roon build the new database And still had slow image loading. Discarded the new database and rebooted RoonServer with the old database restored to it’s correct name. Had perhaps a little improvement.

Now, the problem seems to have totally resolved itself. I really don’t think anything I did was responsible for the improvement, but irregardless it is working like normal again.

Thanks for responding.

Hello @Bob_Worley, I’mglad things are working again! You mentioned running core on your mac mini. Does it contain an SSD or HDD? We recommend keeping your Roon database on an SSD in our minimum requirements for the best result. Once of the causes of issues like this is a drive struggling to read large amounts of metadata.

SSD in Mac mini.

I’ve been a Roon user since October 2015. Lifetime subscriber now. I hadn’t had any significant issues until 1.7 (I think that was the update that didn’t work with with the current Mac OS) brought out some pretty universal Mac issues. Those were fixed and then no issues until the build 610 update. With that update came the cover art slowdown.

What was strange about that slow down was that it was not library dependent. I had the same cover loading slowdown while trying to browse Tidal and Qobuz for titles not in my library. It certainly appeared to be an issue with Roon servers or communication to them. Audirvana continued to work with lightning fast speed when browsing my library or Tidal/Qobuz.

It was only a cover art issue. Album titles continued to load and I didn’t have any issues with playback through Roon.

Anyway, gremlins gone. You can close this thread.