Album = laureate series?

so, laureate series is not the title of the album… but of the series.
i have to say that if for mainstream albums roon recognition is good, in general for less known stuff is quite disastrous.

besides, i have A LOT of albums that are badly identified. i mean, they are identified with some other (more or less) equivalent version/edition. but not with my version.
in general, for me this is not so important… i mean, for most of the albums i have one version, and i don’t give much attention to the version.
BUT… as it seems that roon distinguish the different versions (2000 remaster, 2019 SACD, deluxe ed, and so on…), i would like that roon would identified properly.

AND for some particular artists/albums i have more versions… and i can say that roon identification is not always satisfying.

(another point is about high-res formats, for which in general is not very clear which is the version, not for roon’s fault).

i add that for those albums for which i have more (identified) versions… roon tells me that tracks are duplicate.
then, if i declare that the 2 albums are different versions… the duplicate icon disappears.
but this is a nonsense: IF roon identifies the different versions, it should be able to “pair” them.
so… i have the suspect that the versions identification in general is not very reliable.

also the manual identification is not so easy, because in general the different versions are presented with so little data.
i don’t know, i think a catalog number (or UPC) would be useful…

Niccolo, With respect and empathy, you are shooting at the wrong target. Roon is not blameless here, but the greater “fault” lies with incomplete and/or inaccurate tagging in the DBs that Roon and others use. There’s a programmatic point where the Roon app chooses the “least best” interpretation of the data given it and stops. Fuzzy logic has limits.

Vinyls and boxsets are among the worst-tagged groups, and classical stuff doubtless the trickiest. The DBs (MusicBrainz, Discogs, freedb) absolutely must rely on others (the label companies, perhaps users like us) to provide their raw information. Variance abounds.

I noticed that Apple now has a 16-page ‘style sheet’ on tagging, updated annually, required of any album that gets sold by them. I doubt they will share that info with the world, though.

Its a tough arena in which to excel. My bet remains with Roon; constant improvement seems to be in their genes. [No, I own no interest in Roon. But one can hope. :slight_smile: ]

Hei @John_V… sorry if i’ve looked over-critic :slight_smile:
yes, when i look at album informations… allmusic is the last resource for me…
that said, i find disappointing that an album with “correct tags” gets completely wrong metadata… and it seems to me that you don’t have to apply fuzzy logic to see that if the metadata are completely different from the file tags… well, there is a problem.
Maybe a good approach would be that roon in a case like this simply says: ok, i’ve got it in my database, but i don’t consider it as identified… and leave the option to look at it better to the user.

my point is that it seems to me that many identifications are fake. i’m not going to send here examples, but i’ve found identified albums where tracks did not match. and identified albums with different versions…

BTW, if you find yourself stuck in a misidentified structure, you can “unidentify” it. Album Edit/Identify then decline Roon’s first and second offers of a match. All IDing efforts are undone and it will use and show the file tags. That often shows a deficiency in the tagging.

Also on occasion, the IDed album may have several releases, each of which can fit quite differently. If present, small directional buttons will appear underneath the album art with something like “1 of 3”.

One final thought: if you encounter a theme in the types of mistakes, post them in Metadata Issues. You will benefit, either directly, with a fix, or indirectly with an eventual fix. Usually, such things are almost self documenting, so a screenshot and one line will suffice.

Do hang in there. Sometimes, you can upload a track or two to Dropbox public folder and they, or someone can look under the hood.