Album Version read from path should put carriage return between strings read inside (), [], {}, <>

I love how this works in Roon!

I love how:

(1-1) [2-1] (1-2) {3-1} (1-3) [2-2]

will be interpreted as

1-1 1-2 1-3 2-1 2-2 3-1

I’m trying to highlight here how the (), [], {}, <> hierarchy is respected in how the path is parsed into the Album Version metadata item. It gives me a dimension of flexibility in how I tell beets to handle my files that I appreciate very, very much.

So as an example I have this folder name.

It becomes this.

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 03.15.28

What I’ve taken to doing is substituting the spaces for hyphens

to make the finished product look like this

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 03.14.46

I don’t know if I speak for the entire 0.005% of Roon users who are using the different tiers of brackets to manipulate their Album Version field but I personally would love it if the default behaviour would be for the different tiers of brackets to by default create a new line for the data contained within.

The earlier example would turn

(1-1) [2-1] (1-2) {3-1} (1-3) [2-2]

into

1-1 1-2 1-3
2-1 2-2
3-1

If users wanted to append several bits of text into one field without a carriage return, the current behaviour would still allow them to use separate pairs of () to do this, admittedly losing some ability to control the order of the concatenation.

I feel the in-UI tidiness being able to use these brackets to control carriage returns in the Album Version display would justify this change.

I think you might be overestimating the percentage users :smiley: