"Album View" in Now Playing?

I agree. I also can’t get the keyboard shortcut for the Now Playing screen to work. Other shortcuts still work, so I’m guessing it has been completely removed?

I agree with other users: please bring back large album cover art to the now playing screen!
Also return Cmd-S/Ctrl-S keyboard shortcut.
And please return “up next” track.

6 Likes

The new now playing screen is a little disappointing. Would like to see an alternative with large album art, track, artist, and album title in large font (Sometging 5gat would look nice on an iPad Air or other 9 or 10” tablet. Not worried about Up Next as that’s on the Queue screen.

New Radio is incredible. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

I’ve gone through a few of the new threads regarding 1.6 and hardly a mention of the album cover art no longer being an option to be shown prominently in “Now Playing.” I personally use a Laptop as an end-point hooked up to my hifi and like to see the album art shown as the main focus of whatever is playing. Would much rather have large album art than a picture of whatever band is playing. I noticed it’s fine on iOS but not on Mac OS or windows. Bummer.

3 Likes

Hi Ryan,

Moved your post here. See Mike’s post above.

Cheers, Greg

Many of the new features are great, but this is a case where one really dumb step backwards undermines the improvement.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE ABOVE COMMENT.

The old interface was far superior, at least in so far as it included the album cover in the Now Playing screen.

Now we’re forced, all too often, to look at a low res photo of the artist. When viewed on a TV in a theater room, this is a major step backwards. Roon is apparently trying to duplicate the photo function of J River, except they have implemented the feature in a far worse way.

How could the developers be so dumb? In the old design, the high res cover art that we have all downloaded appeared. Now it is wiped out, and all we are left with is thumbnail in the corner.

In one move, Roon wiped out hours of work on the part of many subscribers to download high res cover art.

What is worse, are the really dumb photos that we must now stare at, whether we like it or not. Or we can look at the bios or artist info, but of course, that is cut in half or worse.

This is just plain moronic.

Did the developers actually test their own product before they released it?

PLEASE. RESTORE THE OPTION TO SHOW COVER ART IN THE TOP TWO-THIRDS OF THE NOW PLAYING SCREEN.

Or even better, restore the option to show the album cover so it occupies most of the screen with the latest song or title showing below that. That was the option that we could open and close.

15 Likes

I posted the above in the main thread on version 1.6 and hadn’t seen this separate thread. The above post was moved to this thread by the moderators.

Now that I’ve read the above response from Mike, I’d like to thank Roon for seriously considering this issue, and promising to address it. My apologies if my previous post was not expressed diplomatically.

My own recommendation is to restore the option for cover art to prominently display across most of the Now Playing window, as in the previous version.

As I said in my post on lyrics – Roon is still fabulous, to coin a phrase from one of my previous threads that I started. It will be even more fabulous once a few of these glitches (treatment of cover art in the Now Playing window and lyrics) are addressed.

The integration of Qobuz (once it is available in the US) and the new Radio feature moves Roon beyond fabulous. It is, to use a description that a group of ten year old boys applied to my home theater, Emosewa!

Awesome, spelled backwards.

1 Like

Thank you @mike please allow us to select a very large size and larger font!!!

And what’s up with the strange half waveform? Very odd.

5 Likes

+1 on the font size. Make it readable from a distant please.

2 Likes

How can I disable the format information on the Now Playing screen?
I want to see infos about the music not about the files.

1 Like

Not possible right now, but feel free to open a feature request on this.

Also, @support is really for when things are not working properly – feel free to flag me or Brian with product questions and we’ll answer when we can, but the tag is really for when something is broken and assistance is needed.

In any event, thanks for the feedback here @AE67.

Thanks for the response

Thanks Mike!
It is a feature many have been waiting for.

Thanks for looking into this. I installed the Android software update this morning and thought I was losing my mind when I couldn’t display the album are as I had always done. Hopefully that can be brought back as a user configurable option.

1 Like

I support this request. Please make it also possible so show only the album art too.

3 Likes

Now that I’ve spend more time with the ‘Now Playing’ screen, I’m not going to mince words, I HATE this design and should 100% be redesigned. I Use this on my iPad and think if the bottom area was the whole page (items size adjusted) and just incorporate the navigation icons for lyrics, bios, credits, etc. to take you to a full screen page on that content with just a top corner arrow to take you back to ‘Now Playing’ screen. I can put together a mock-up in photoshop if you’d like. @brian.

8 Likes

Yes! This is just not right. Please tell me they put the cover art now playing screen back. This is atrocious.

2 Likes

It’s horrific. I haven’t been a fan of the “display” look on the web or chromecast devices. Then, they take that and replace the classic “now playing” screen which just showed the full album cover in all it’s beauty. It’s beyond disappointing.

4 Likes

While I like the layout of the new Now Playing screen there are some issues:

• The next song in the queue should be shown
  • Why default to static lyrics with huge font for the main display?, showing the lyrics is only interesting if its synced to the music
  • If there is no artist image available, Roon should display a default high res image of something like instruments, a stadium, etc, the blurry grey lines looks like a complete afterthought
4 Likes

Wow, add my name to the list of users who hate the ‘now playing’ screen. UGLY!

Also in the queue screen, I was so hopeful the screen space for Roon Radio would be gone and a simple button used. Have a banner like add for a simple function is obviously an attempt by Roon to lure people into trying Radio. Roon must think its ctritcal to their long term viability.

I’m a lifetime subscriber.

5 Likes