Albums added to watched folder don't always appear in the library

Albums added to my music folder don’t always appear in the library. At times some albums appear but only some of the tracks are listed. Some albums that I deleted still appear in the library.

Roon is set to monitor files in real time but it doesn’t always. Any suggestions?

I run Roon on an audiophile PC connected to a Synology NAS.

It’s typically down the the quality of SMB implementation on the storage device and the OS that monitoring it.

What OS is your audiophile PC running?

Windows is typical very good but Linux less so.

@Mike posted this recently:

I have a similar problem that started with 1.3 and continues. Every time I add an album to the Watched Folder only the first track or two will display.

My work around is to have two folders in my Music Folder (designated as the Watched Folder). I add the album to the first folder (and Roon only shows first track or two). I then transfer it to the second folder (where all my albums reside). As soon as I do this Roon picks up all the tracks.

The folks at Roon (and Salk Sound, the maker of my streamer) have been unable to duplicate this behavior, so have been unable to identify and fix the problem. :frowning:

Fortunately my work around is simple and quick, but annoying nonetheless.

I run Windows 10 Pro. Never had this problem with Jriver, foobar2000 or any other player! If it is an issue with my Synology NAS or Windows, would you expect this to happen with other players?

Thanks James. At least I’m not the only one experiencing this problem. As for a fix, I hope the cleaver people at roon could come up with a better solution, if possible a solution that also removes deleted albums? For those who suggest that a force rescan is needed i’d like to point out that this isn’t really a solution but also that when I did that I ended with duplicate tracks/albums.

If you are removing files from storage using the OS, Roon hangs onto the data, the expectation is that you might just be moving the files and they will come back in a different location … this is to preserve the play counts and local edits you may have made.

If you want Roon to totally forget them, then use: Setting --> Library --> Clean Up Library

Alternatively, you can delete imported albums from within Roon, which will remove them from storage as well as from the Roon DB.

[quote=“Ofer_Barr, post:5, topic:28058”]
For those who suggest that a force rescan is needed i’d like to point out that this isn’t really a solution
[/quote]Agreed, it is a workaround.

[quote=“Ofer_Barr, post:5, topic:28058”]
… but also that when I did that I ended with duplicate tracks/albums.
[/quote]That does not normally happen … I’d recommend a library clean up.

If you still have duplicates after that, I suggest checking the track file paths in Roon to make sure there are no files kicking around in the Watched folders that have been forgotten.

Thanks. How do i remove an album from within roon?

Check out the Roon Knowledge Base and search for “deleting an album”.