Albums don't show up in roon database

Hi, Steven. Apologies for taking some time to get back on this thread but it’s near Christmas and it’s a busy time of the year.

As a general caveat just as a reminder, I am neither a moderator or affiliated to Roon but just a long-time user; I don’t have advanced IT or technical knowledge so am really coming to this as a long-time (and obviously overall user). I haven’t seen all your e-mail exchanges with Roon staff so what I may indicate may repeat what you have already been through and it may therefore seem irritating but it is not intended to be so! Please note that I am a PC user; it’s unclear from the thread above if you are a Mac or PC user. This should not matter too much unless the problem is realted to Mac OS

Unless you have already established that your files are not scanned by Roon, in which case the solution to the issue is of a different nature (and may be solvable by copying your music to another drive, reformatting the existing one and copying the music back if you wish so but that should really only be a last recourse). I understand that this point may sound obvious but it is not because you can’t find your albums that Roon hasn’t scanned them. The 2 easiest places to figure this out are in the skipped files page (as indicated by Roon SSupport in earlier posts) and checking whether the total files scanned by drive correspond to the actual files.

1. Skipped files
Go to your Settings, in the Library section and check what files have been skipped. In my case it looks like this

As it concerns image files and in one case the tag information, I ignore these files and haven’t replaced them as all my 300k+ music files are picked up correctly.

I have had issues with corrupt files particularly when moving directories and files and usually recopying an original source file or, in the worst of case, re-ripping the original file solves the problem after a rescan. You may have to dellete the original corrupt file and then copy the new file rather than simply replace the file which has the disadvantage that you will nee to merge it back with the original album. If a whole album’s files is listed as corrupt, then simply delete it and copy a prior or backup copy in its place, rescan the directory and see whether tha works.

2. Checking all your files have been scanned
I know this is again looking at the obvious but go to the Settings Storage screen

In my case I have 2 top level directories. The key is do those numbers of files correspond to the total music files you have. When you have over 250k files in one top level directory, it is not easy to check if you are missing a couple of albums (ie maybe less than a 100 files) and you can’t do this by looking at the directory’s properties in the system as the count in Roon is actual music (eg flac, wav or dsf or dff files) and not the total number that would appear if you look at a folder’ properties that includes all the image files, thumbnails and subidrectories (and which is why when Roon is scanning it seems to be scanning more than your file number of files as it is looking at all the files before just giving you the total music files).

One easy way to know if one or more missing albums are being scanned (which would be very helpful to confirm because then you know they are either scanned or not identified correctly) is to create a new top level directory watch folder and to move a couple of missing albums in it. Then select a force rescan and if it then shows a total of files that corresponds to the number you moved across, it means that they are somewher in Roon, either skipped or misidenitifed.

Once you can confirm if your all files are being scanned, I can think of a couple of resons why you may not see them and make suggestions that may help you.

If they are not being picked up at all, that’s more of a head scratcher but there may be solutions too.

1 Like

…and now comes in 4th part the surprise, are there significantly more than the 66 pieces of music?

Foobar2000 finds with the word Gustav Mahler 427 search results and if I search only with Mahler there are even 769 search results. I now switch to Linux, where my large database is already almost completely read in and compare.

For a better comparison, I went back to Windows 10 and Foobar2000 again and took this picture.

I count 40 images = albums

Also what appears twice is not, there is for example in the middle a Vol. 3 and a Vol. 5 with the same picture.

Crucially, Foobar2000 says I have 427 tracks with “Gustav Mahler”.

The total playing time is given as 20:37 so 20.5 hours.

With the help of Roon I got this list:

Roon finds additional 47 albums but knows only 192 songs.

CD Album Anzahl Album
Summe 192 Sum
1 Mahler: Lieder 29 Mahler: Songs
2 Jurowski Conducts Mahler’s Symphony No. 8 26 Jurowski Conducts Mahler’s Symphony No. 8
3 Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn 14 Mahler: The Boy’s Magic Horn
4 Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn Adagio from Symphony No. 10 13 Mahler: The Boy’s Magic Horn Adagio from Symphony No. 10
5 Mahler: Symphony No. 9 12 Mahler: Symphony No. 9
6 Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde 3 Rückert-Lieder 9 Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde 3 Rückert songs
7 Mahler: Kindertotenlieder Bach: Hochzeitskantate 9 Mahler: Kindertotenlieder Bach: Wedding Cantata
8 Gustav Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde 6 Gustav Mahler: Song of the earth
9 Mahler : Symphony No. 3 6 Mahler : Symphony No. 3
10 Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde 6 Mahler: Song of the earth
11 50 Best - Symphony 5 50 Best - Symphony
12 Wagner: Wesendonck-Lieder / Mahler: Rückert-Lieder 5 Wagner: Wesendonck songs / Mahler: Rückert songs
13 Between Love and Loss 4 Between Love and Loss
14 Mahler: Symphonie No. 4 4 Mahler: Symphony No. 4
15 Mahler: Symphony No. 9 in D Major (Live) 4 Mahler: Symphony No. 9 in D Major (Live)
16 Masters of the Piano Roll: Mahler Plays Mahler 3 Masters of the Piano Roll: Mahler Plays Mahler
17 The 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music 3 The 50 Greatest Pieces of Classical Music
18 Classical Music for Meditation: Night Sky, Vol. 1 2 Classical Music for Meditation: Night Sky, Vol. 1
19 Mahler: Symphony No. 8 2 Mahler: Symphony No. 8
20 The 99 Most Essential Classical Pieces for Your Mind 2 The 99 Most Essential Classical Pieces for Your Mind
21 The Artist’s Album 2 The Artist’s Album
22 100 Best Relaxing Classics 1 100 Best Relaxing Classics
23 100 Classical Essentials [Album] 1 100 Classical Essentials [Album]
24 100 Most Essential Classical Favorites [Album] 1 100 Most Essential Classical Favorites [Album]
25 100 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music 1 100 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music
26 101 Meisterwerke der Klassik 1 101 Classical Masterpieces
27 120 Romantic Classical Masterpieces 1 120 Romantic Classical Masterpieces
28 40 Most Beautiful Adagios 1 40 Most Beautiful Adagios
29 40 Most Beautiful Orchestral Classics 1 40 Most Beautiful Orchestral Classics
30 40 Most Beautiful Relaxing Classics 1 40 Most Beautiful Relaxing Classics
31 40 Most Beautiful Romantic Classics 1 40 Most Beautiful Romantic Classics
32 50 Classical Chillout 1 50 Classical Chillout
33 Banalités 1 Banalités
34 Cinema Classics [Naxos] 1 Cinema Classics [Naxos]
35 Classical Relaxation, Volume 5 1 Classical Relaxation, Volume 5
36 Die schönsten Stimmen 2011 1 The most beautiful voices 2011
37 Elly Ameling: The Dutch Nightingale 1 Elly Ameling: The Dutch Nightingale
38 Great Conductors of the 20th Century, Vol. 38: Rafael Kubelik 1 Great Conductors of the 20th Century, Vol. 38: Rafael Kubelik
39 I love Chill Out Classics 1 I love Chill Out Classics
40 I love Relaxing Classics 1 I love Relaxing Classics
41 Le Concert [Original Soundtrack] 1 Le Concert [Original Soundtrack]
42 Le Poète du Piano 1 Le Poète du Piano
43 Meditation: Classical Relaxation, Vol. 3 1 Meditation: Classical Relaxation, Vol. 3
44 Rendezvous der Sinne Vol. 3 1 Rendezvous of the Senses Vol. 3
45 The Classics at the Movies: Love 1 The Classics at the Movies: Love
46 The European Film Music Collection 1 The European Film Music Collection
47 Top 100 Entspannung 1 Top 100 Relaxation

The created playlists look like this:

For Gustav Mahler 201 tracks (with duplicates) and 28 hours of music are offered

For Mahler even 31 hours, but there Alma Mahler, Stephan Mahler etc. are counted.

Are the partial steps with pictures still important? It was again the described focus technique.

I think Roon has everything, but the preparation is not always easy. Because Roon automatically enriches metadata, in my case some hours of music are found more, which Directory Opus can not recognize at all by file name or folder and Foobar2000 also no longer has in the maintained metadata.

The correct subdivision of the compositions with all movements is probably only Roon and other special programs possible. This requires a lot of data maintenance, which is more difficult to do in Roon.

Hi. I’ve just gotten time to sit down and start going through your response which I truly appreciate and feel a little guilty that I didn’t catch this before you devoted so much effort to help me but I have no streaming services. All of my albums are on hard drives sitting on my desk. I’ve never used a streaming service so I’m not sure how any of that will help my situation. I’ll get back to your response now but I wanted to get this to you as soon as I realized the misunderstanding.

Hi. Let me clarify a few things. I am in windows 10 exclusively using albums stored on local hard drives. I have checked skipped files and the only skips are non music-meta data of some sort. I have been focasing on one folder containing 6 cds(sacd) actually and they have in fact been recognized in roon:

However, when I search under artist for otto klemperer filter mahler this is the result:

When I search under composer for Gustav Mahler filter klemperer this is the result:

My first screen shot proves that the albums have been recognized by roon but the 2 logical searches miss 2 of the albums. So I can’t play them.

How do I search for the missing albums?

I’ve just tried another search. Using the magnifying glass instead of the “artist” and “composer” searches in the menu with “mahler symphony 7” I got the missing album. Doing the same for symphony 9, nope. I got symphony 4 from the same folder but not 9.

In Roon, the role as artist, the role as composer, and the co-creation of a composition are three objects of evaluation, each with different outcomes. I would have expected this according to the FAQ. If everything is to appear everywhere, it must also be entered into the file several times separated by commas. It is quite possible that Roon also assigns Gustav Mahler where we have not written a search hint in the file, in the folder name or in the metadata itself, but Roon still finds a connection.

The evaluation with focus and filter needs some practice, but can also deliver different results on different solution paths, which are logical if you think about it longer.

The fact that the producers of the albums do not always write Gustav Mahler: Symphonies, but sometimes Mahler: Symphony as the album title and at other times name the title with Mahler: Symphonies or even omit Mahler and speak only of Klemperer: Das Lied von…makes the search more complicated.

If you search for Symphony, you will not find Symphonies.

If you search for Klemperer you will also find albums where no Mahler is titled.

Hi Steven, I am a bit confused but I understand that the albums are there (good sign) but it looks like you are having metadata related issues. If you can see the albums some way, can you click on one of the albums.

For illustration, this is what I see when I select either the Das Lied von der Erde SACD (which I initially bought individually) or the Klemeprer SACD boxset (different art). You will not see the same details unless you have customised them so don’t worry if your albums screen is different.

Can youi also take a screenshot of what appears when you select the “Compositions” field rather than the “Overview” field under Gustav Mahler (as a general rule if you are looking for your recordings of a specific work, using that window under the composer will be much easier especially for a composer like Mahler who composer a more limied number of compositions), For example I get:

Compositions are listed alphabetically. If I then scroll down to Symphony No.1 and click on that composition, then the following creen appears (listed to show all appearance of the work whether complete or not (you can set that by clicking on the down arrow next to “Recordings by album” under the “All recordings” section in the lower part of the screen

1 Like

and then of course when on the indivdual composition screen, check whether your album appears on the list identified by Roon as containing that work

Apologies for tyops… typing fast

1 Like

OK… here is the das lied-looks like yours:

and here are the compositions screens:

skipping a few…

I’d like to point out that movements are listed as individual works which add an immense amount of clutter. After finding this long ago I wrote off this search method as unworkable since there was so much irrelevant material listed.
Skipping a bunch more to symphony 9 we get:

Then

and

Searching with the mag glass for mahler symphony 9 I get 8 to 12 albums depending upon whether you want to include multi symphony sets in the count. The 2 searches that you suggested gave me 4.

Recapping, there appears to be no way to easily find all of the recordings of anything except maybe an album title which is fine for “albums” but not so good for classical. I don’t get it. I don’t claim to be the brightest bulb in the pack but I’m not a complete idiot. I assume there is a problem with meta data and the searches but does it ever end? I got roon for one reason-I wouldn’t have to tag every field of every album. Roon would do it. Great! OTOH tagging composer so that I can at least get started finding a recording isn’t that time consuming. From what I can tell, that process in roon is absolutely prohibitive timewise. I’m starting to think I may be better off using file explorer and jplay. That appears to give me a better chance of at least FINDING my albums in a way that I can actually play them. Am I wrong? How do the rest of you actually use this thing? I don’t get it. Roon sounds good but it just doesn’t appear to actually work as a search engine.
This is supposed to be a relaxing pursuit. I can pull out a record from my neatly organized collection,put it on the table and sit down to listen. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked thru a section and found a record that I didn’t remember having and thinking “cool, I’ll put that on next” Can’t do it in roon. I can’t find every record I own since they are scattered-I have thousands that haven’t been checked for condition and put on the shelves. Duplicates are always an issue. But once they are by composer, even in multiple locations, I can find what I’m looking for. Roon is a black box, or more accurately a black hole, where music goes in and may never come out again. Jriver isn’t like that. FILE EXPLORER isn’t like that. Forget narrowing down the search to minutiae, if you can’t find the works by searching for a composer, what is the point?

I am listening right now:

RoonShareImage-637756229177229424

I like it very much, but you can’t expect when you enter Mahler Symphony to get Mahler Symhonies too, that’s your mistake.

Just enter Mahler Symphon and you will get both.

It is sometimes difficult to understand, but you get logical and expectable results for me according to query.

OK. Here is your search:

This search gave Klemperer 2 & 4. In my logic, I would expect “symphonies” to show up but I can assure you that a bunch of sets-partial and complete-did not show up. This is illogical.

Hi, Steven. I am getting an understanding of then issues you are facing and what you really meant by “albums not showing up” and as we have a lot of overlap in mahler discography in our respective libraries (both in terms of performers and in terms of formats), let me try and explain what is happening.

You are clearly a classical music connaisseur and keen collector and form your collection more than aware that for the last few decades (and particularly since the dawn of the cd era) that large classical music publishers keep republishing much of the same catalog in new combinations: what started as an LP will be combined with another work on ite first CD release, then combined with another work on another reissue, then issued as part of a box set and in then in a new format (SACDs in the early 2000s and still in Japan, then lossless downloads and now high-resolution downloads). On top of that there are regional variations which have been complicated by the concentrations and mergers of the majors: Australian Eloquence runs its own very well curated editions covering the DG/Philips/Decca recordings, Universal Italy runs its own boxset programme and in Japan they run special SACD print runs sometimes licensing to local retailers like Tower Records. And each entity may run its own remastering process which means that a popular or landmark recording will appear in copuntless combinations and with different movement lengths according to the format and mastering (not big differences but enough to put off Roon recognising an album automatically).

The big databses Roons gets much of its metadata from (or did which ones are current is for Roon to say) like AMG (All Music Guide) or MusicBrainz try to keep track but the really detailed metadata is really only checked and complete on the primary issues and however much you or I may think that Klemperer’s Mahler on SACD issued on Japan is a must have, these are really small print runs with few copies sold outisde Japan. That Roon can recognmise the albums is great per se, but usually the quality of metadat is poor and if it has been picked from Japan, is often of mixed quality and classification (compoisers appear as artists and work names and movements poorly labelled and not recognisable).

In the cas eof the Das Lied, it happens by luck that this Warner Japan issue has the same track listing and identical lengths within a few seconds to the EMI Greatest Recordings of the Century issue (EMI is now ownde by Warner) and it has been reissued again by Warner with the original cover which is the same as the Japan SACD edition, hence why the metadat is so good: the EMI Greatest Recordings of the Century CD issue was properly curated by the databse and Roon can pick up that data.

For many boxsets issued more recently like the Klemperer Mahler, the databse dat will just be terrible and mean that whenyou are doing a focus search much of the data is missing or incomplete (eg the work is not picked up and so on).

Welcome to the Classical metadata jungle.

Now there is no magical solution and Roon does try to do the best match and in my experience does it better than others but it is far from perfect. Now you can resolve some of the issues, but it req curating the albums at fault indivdually or grouping them and if you really want things to be really good, well there is no way around curating some basic metadata which is always a pain particularly on a large collection.

This may put oyu off Roon completely or you may be able to solve most of your problems by applying some of the following recommendations (although we have many of the same albums, due to the size of my library and as I imported some of them a few years ago, I can’t rememeber how easy I sorted out some of our overlapping problem children.

1) File structure for boxsets and whether you want boxsets or individual albums
You seem quite experienced so I may be restating the obvious but if your boxset albums have been ripped and identified as individual albums by your ripping software, Roon is not usually going to be able to magically recombine them as a boxset with out some help. Folder and tag album titles need to reflect the boxset structure to maximis chance of it being recognised as such.

This brings up a difficult issue: if your boxset is a combination of albums that were also originally issued inviduallly, then you are more likely for Roon to recognise them with the best data if they have been ripped and named as individual albums rather than as a boxset. Conversely if a boxset has been properly curated then rip it as such and not as individual albums as other wise some will not be properly recognised (eg the complete Artur Rubinstein Sony issue). You won’t know that beforehand but the likelihodd is that if you go AMG and find your album (go the artist discography page) and it has full listings, then it is in the Roon database.

So why does ripping albums that are most probably in the database with well cured data not always result in an optimal match in Roon? Well this will sound weird, butnot all ripping software produces the same results time wise for each track and if even one track is slightly outside the inbuilt tolerance limit, Roon may not choose the best metadat match. It’s infuriating but happens a lot in clasical especially for remastered CDs even with the same track listings, SACDs or downloads. A 7:59m track becomes 8:10 (the difference is not silence not more music) and Roon then recognises as a “separate” download issue with poor metadata because it has only been encountered very few times.

That can be solved by selecting the album, go the edit menu and select identify album and find the best match (it may not appear on the first page and you may have to select to see more choices; knowing the AMG name of the album would help as if that name or the primary artist is different from your tags, then typing those out will narrow the search. Once you have found the album then choose the best version -it will be 1 of x and go through them. Choose the one that matches your track names and listing as it doesn’t matter if it flags in red if some track times are diferent as long as they are the right ones… that’s why it wasn’t identified correclty in the first place!).

If you have a broken boxset, you can merge albums and it may then recognise it although as indicated that doesn’t always helped.

Another issue is the genre tags: albums that are not recognised or have limited metadata may not have a genre tag at all (eg not even classical) which may make more difficult for threm to appear in searches.

1. Metadata issues
    I have been using MP3Tag for some time and wrote a long post on tagging clasical music some time ago: just look up post 5 in Performer/Composer segmentation in Roon 1.8. It’s overkill for what you will tolerate, but the summary is this: for some of your Japanese or American SACDs (eg probably the 2000s Szell ones which I also have), they are common enough for Roon or any other database search to give you proper metadata unless Roon starts to collate (and then check) user metadata which they could probably only do if they had millions rather than 100’000+ users. If you have tagged artist, composer, conductor and orchestra then Roon should be able to do a good focus search for you. If you want to have more consistent performer and work searches then you have to do more consistent tagging. It doesn’t require a huge effort on one album and doesn’t need to be done for those that are recognised but yes it can be a pain, and, as it is classical music, it means using the correct and consistent names and spelling, something which is not working as well as it should since the last update (hence my orignal post you responded too).

There is specialised classical metadata software which will do some of the work for you but nothing will be 100% accurate; considering your size of library, there will always be quite a few mismatches or unidentified albums. This is also amplified by the fact that not all major labels supply their data in a timely manner and it can sometimes be years for a new clasical album to have its metadata populated in the major databses.

You will probably get the best and most consistent results if you use a streaming provider such as Qobuz or Tidal although even there, I believe, there can be big holes in metadata and of course you can then access so the specific album issues (eg the DSD files of the SACDs you have collected at nbo doubt great expense).

There is of course another solution which is to same copy the files from someone who has tagged them in the manner you would like and then either simply identify them or apply a genre tag…!!!

In any case I am probably not giving you the simple answer you wanted (if someone does please let me know, it would simplify my life too) but I would say that with a bit of time invested, Roon will give you a far better experience than any file structure. For non-classical, it only requires minimal effort. For classical there is still some way to go, but it has come a long way in the last five years.

Apologies for the typos but this is a long post and I hope it will be coherent when you read it.

3 Likes

Well, I want to thank everyone for their efforts on my behalf but I think what I have learned screams to me “run”. i quit. I’m going back to jriver and once I’m set back up I’ll be uninstalling and making certain I don’t get charged again. If I can figure out how to do that-which so far has not happened. Thanks and good uck.

I understand where you come from, Steven and it probably makes sense in terms of your priorities, set up and preferences. It’s a shame as Roon can really add a lot to the experience of “consuming” music but classical music classification has been and remains a mess (speaking generally heree and not Roon specific). Roon has made great strides to providing a better framework but there is still some way to go and in any case, whatever your musical tastes, there is always a time and effort cost when switching platform. Good luck to you too going forwards!