Albums listed under wrong artist

Hi,

I have just noticed that Roon is listing albums of the same artist under different artists. Identified albums go to the correct artist while unidentified albums get listed under a different artist with the same name.

For example I have 2 artists named Genesis in my local library even if all albums belong to the same artist.

The first artist is wrong (West Coast quintet) and contains 37 albums, all unidentified, while the second artist is the right one (UK Prog group) and contains 30 identified albums. I don’t even have any albums belonging to the first one in my library, so no idea why Roon is choosing that one.

This is happening quite a lot in my library for multiple artists which contain both identified and unidentified albums in case multiple artists with the same name exist.

So what can I do to merge these albums under the same artist? Manually adding all unidentified albums to MusicBrainz in order to allow Roon to identify them properly is not really the way I want to go… that’s quite a lot of manual work and its kinda defeating the purpose of having Roon do what it is supposed to do best: add missing metadata and organize my albums in an automatic manner…

Thanks!

Just as comparison, other servers like Emby for example are keeping the albums together properly and listed under the correct artist, so it’s not a tagging issue…

Hello @Adrian_Matala , I wonder if Roon is confused by your titles; it can’t make a solid identification and chooses the wrong Genesis.

You can try manually identifying the albums, see this KB article .

When I tested for the Genesis 1973-2007 for example I see

so Roon does know about it.

Identifying the albums that way may solve your problem.

Alternatively, adjust your metadata to match Roon.

Hi @BrianW ,

Manually identifying the albums does indeed work for some of the albums (and then they get moved under the right artist) but not for all of them. Basically if the albums are not known on MusicBrainz, the chances of identifying them are very slim… for example bootlegs like the one below cannot be identified and I have hundreds of those in my library…

At this stage I have about one third unidentified albums in my library which amounts to almost 10.000 albums… Many of those are very obscure albums bought on Bandcamp for example that Roon doesn’t know about… As a Music Brainz contributor since 2008 I have added hundreds of albums over the years to their database and all those can now be identified by Roon, but if I have to treat manually each one of the remaining 10.000 then I’ll never see the end of it…

So I am looking for a way to merge those albums under the same artist even when they are not identified… Emby which I have mentioned before relies on the MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID TAG to group unidentified albums under the same artist, but Roon doesn’t care about that TAG… Even if it’s properly filled in for all unidentified albums, they still end up under the wrong artist and this is making a complete mess of my library :frowning:

Thanks!

In that case, choose your wrong Genesis, select all albums in my library, and 3 dots > edit top of page, edit albums and you should see something like

Remove the wrong Genesis, and add the right one (it will have a picture)

Got it thanks for your help, now all 67 albums are grouped together under the right artist and I can do the same for other similar cases. I didn’t think to go that far to manually remove the primary artist and add a new one for all the impacted albums! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.