Albums Missing from Composer Overview

Let’s take Dowland as an example.
Here is the file store, and the foobar search

here is what roon can see

I wonder what the best way is to efficiently identify what albums Roon is missing?
For example, I saw Lindberg’s complete lute wasn’t there - so I credited Dowland as the composer Roon still can’t see it.

But the other missing stuff isn’t easy to identify. What is needed is a file browser in Roon so that I can visualise the connection between folder and how it that appears in Roon.
Am I the only one to find this tricky?

That Dowland boxset isn’t known to Qobuz at the moment, only the single disc selection. I wonder if that is the reason that Roon doesn’t know it?

This album does get included in the Composer’s “Discography”

Do I really need to worry if Qobuz knows it or not? I’d just like to be able to credit it to a composer manually.

Well, I still think that there’s something about your metadata that is throwing Roon off.

I’ve just gone to the Bis website and purchased the “Complete Solo Lute Music” for myself, and downloaded it from the eClassical.com website.

I’ve added it into my Roon library, and it shows up, both in the Album browser and in Dowland’s “Discography”:

I notice that my download is not split into discs, and that Bis now offer this release as a single SACD. Perhaps this is why Roon is not recognising your release?

That’s beyond the call of duty!

Colour me intrigued by the puzzle of what is going on with your Roon library… :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, and I’ve discovered that Qobuz does know about this release, albeit with a different album cover art…

There are all manner of paradoxes and inconsistencies with how Roon handles classical music, even with perfectly tagged local files. My (least) favorite one is also related to composers.

Click on a a composer link

and sometimes you get what you expect and sometimes nothing

I have 2 albums with all tracks from this composer.

If I remove Albert Schelzer from the Roon-provided credit for the album liner notes, magically it appears.

Explain why that is correct behavior.

1 Like

Do you subscribe to Qobuz and/or Tidal? I ask because your Composer page seems suspiciously lacking in detail.

Can you post a screenshot of the credit in question? Thanks.

I think without it there wouldn’t be a Discography tab at all?

Yes - but wanted confirmation of that from @mktmkt

I think you mean to ask if my Roon account is connected to my Qobuz account. No.

I only use Roon for local multichannel files.

Not a new issue

In that screen-shot. Dufay has a performer credit. If I add a performer credit to my copy of that album it will not show up under a composer search in roon either.

It is extremely common with other players to give long-dead composers a performer credit, typically an album artist credit, so that search on performer (pop music) and search on composer (classical music) behave interchangeably.

Roon is not backwards compatible with common players like foobar, in all sorts of ways, so it often breaks defacto standards like this. This particularly effects Classical. Many roon users with Pop oriented libraries simply never encounter these issues. But if you have a non-trivially large Classical library that you have been grooming for years then you are very quickly going to see these incompatibilities in the meta-data. Roon will just not work out-of-the-box for you and will require a great deal of editing effort. Maybe years. My advice is to migrate albums in small batches, editing a long the way.

As regards your Desprez album. No guarantees but its worth a shot and this wilI arise in other cases anyway. I have that album and it does show up in a composer search. So there must be differences between my metadata and yours. One common problem I find is multiple composer credits. I notice you have an “Anonymous” credit which is of course going to be very common in a Renaissance mass where original material is mixed up with Gregorian plainchant. You can try unchecking it. You may need to remove other credits such as “text” or “translation” which also triggers a composer credit by roon.

PS: Also if you have been editing and re-editing and chopping and changing because nothing seems to work, at a certain point you are going to have to “Clean up library”. To do this.

1. Move the album you are having trouble with to a folder roon is not monitoring.
  2. Settings → Library → Clean up library → Check deleted files → Clean up library
  3. Move the troublesome album back to a roon monitored folder and start again.
1 Like

Thanks @tripleCrotchet - that’s almost certainly the cause of this issue. MusicBrainz guidelines also insist on defining classical composers as performers as well. Frankly, it does not compute in my view… :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll make a mental note of this for the next time it occurs.

Ah yes, a known issue - and a fix is in the pipeline…

That post is from Feb 2022

I don’t see the Dufay performer credit in that album.

Dufay credits

Well that’s mad, but I’m happily to manually remove it, if I can find it.

Like the standard practice of typing into a search box and expecting a complete result? I don’t understand what you’re saying.

I thought Roon was designed for Classical from bottom up - or did I misread the advertising?

That’s precisely what I’m doing. I’m trying very hard to learn the logic and If there is any. I would have thought that 1. being able to search by a manually added credit and 2. An ability to check to see if all albums are added with some sort of file editor, would be minimum requirements.

OK now a major problem. If I search for ‘jos’ Roon crashes (immediately on typing the S). It seems fine searching for anything else -
I’ve restarted the core, rebooted the core PC, not sure what else to try.

Have I broken it?

All your tracks have a Dufay performer credit of some sort:

You will need to remove them. I suspect that the solution to your other problems will be similar in that the database fields roon is relying on are either not being populated or populated in unexpected ways or there are interaction effects.

I am not roon staff. Just another user like Geoff. In my case about 6 years. I too started out with a heavily groomed legacy library I used to use with JRiver and still use with foobar. I am still migrating.