Albums not showing up in search

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

Hi all.

Can somebody please tell me why this album:

…Is not showing up in this search:

The only thing I can think of is that “album artist” is (currently) set to “Jazz”:

But the primary artist is “Herbie Hancock” so I’m surprised that isn’t being picked up.

Seems odd to me. Is there a setting I need to change?

You’re using a filter on the Album view and this is filtering on album artist or album title.

What results do you get if you use the search?

Well, it shows some (not all) of my Herbie Hancock albums. The one I’m referencing is not included in the search at the top but the “tracks” shown at the bottom are from the album I’m referencing!

Weird.

It’s probably something in my file tags. I’ll have a look in a bit.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

It’s probably something in my file tags. I’ll have a look in a bit.

No, you are not doing anything wrong. This is an example of ongoing problems with the search facility in Roon. It is a Roon problem.

I use Qobuz, and if I search for “Herbie Hancock” in Roon, it doesn’t show the album in the search results (in the Albums section). However if I select (artist) Herbie Hancock and open the discography, the album is there. The search result makes no sense at all.

I encounter the situation often on Roon. Search doesn’t find what I’m looking for but I know it’s there, and I have to get to it by some roundabout way.

By the way, if I search for Herbie Hancock in the Qobuz app, it finds the album right away. That’s how it should work.

1 Like

Seems odd to me that a programme which effortlessly manages to smother my collection with all sorts of “richness” about related artists & other “things I might like” can’t find all instances of two words when I ask it to. Go figure. :slight_smile:

I’ve got to interject here… this is not an example of the search facility, it is a filter. Using search with the query does work.

Filtering takes an existing full list, and removes items based on criteria that match/don’t match.

Search takes a blank slate and adds to it based on criteria that match/don’t match.

Not on my system, it doesn’t. See above. The album is not there, but the individual tracks are. :slight_smile:

I’ve got to interject here… this is not an example of the search facility, it is a filter . Using search with the query does work

I don’t understand the distinction. If I want to find Herbie Hancock albums, the natural thing to do is tap the Search icon, type “Herbie Hancock” and hit enter. Then scroll down to the Albums section and tap the MORE button. The mentioned album is not listed. But the album is found if you go into the Herbie Hancock artist discography.

Have you clicked on ‘More’? Still not there?

We may have crossed wires. The first post by the OP was a filter on the Album screen. Later there is the search result. I too would expect to see the album from search, even if you say it may be on the MORE screen.

However, I also think that setting Album Artist to ‘Jazz’ will affect results.

That “more” button is adjacent to “tracks”.

When I click it, I get a list of all the Herbie Hancock tracks, I don’t get more albums.

Here is the main discussion on search issues: Overhauled Search in Roon. I had to laugh at some of the examples for classical music search. If this was happening at any of the streaming services, they would be mercilessly skewered on the internet.

1 Like

Use the MORE button adjacent to Albums, i.e. at the top of the album list (I also think MORE should follow the list, but hey.)

What am I missing here???

There isn’t a more button adjacent to albums or I would’ve tried it. :smiley:

What are you using to do the search?
iPad, iphone??

This is what I see with android phone.
Just what I would expect with the " more" selection present.

This is what I see with android phone.
Just what I would expect with the " more" selection present.

I described my experience here. On Android I pressed the More button and more albums are shown, but the album in question (Herbie Hancock Complete Warner Bros Recordings) still does not appear. I am using Qobuz, and Roon does know about the album because it is found when looking in the Herbie Hancock artist discography.

I think it is fair to say that this is an example of the broken search facility in Roon. Roon is actively working on their search and it is an ongoing project that will take some time to fix.

I’m on my MacBook Pro :slight_smile:

There’s a metadata mix up, it’s under mwandishi

It seems to me that if “Herbie Hancock” is assigned as the primary artist, is should show up in a “Herbie Hancock” search, regardless of any other data. :slight_smile:

That’s why I said it’s a metadata mixup.

1 Like