All ALAC Files showing as Corrupt

No, and mostly likely you have not either … as you’re interested be my guest and let us know how get on.

In my case the issue was with FLAC not ALAC so discussion with Apple was not appropriate … but it was discussed with Roon.

Roon analysed some example files and identified the format issue … it’s a long time ago now, iirc they were ripped with a very old version of ripping software… the Roon app was correct the files did not conform to aspects of the FLAC specification… I know Roon have made some adjustments to the checking criteria but in my case the files could be easily resolved by transcoding FLAC to FLAC which corrected root cause.

If I still have the details I’ll happily share but we are talking 6 years or so ago now… and of course this was FLAC not ALAC.

What I did ask for was better user visibility to the nature of the corruption in the Roon app, sadly that was never implemented (iirc the logs don’t help much either)

1 Like

EZCD is current software and is actively supported. If you go to any Roon page the consensus is ALAC vs FLAC are same same. Even on most websites you will have a good music listening experience regardless of those two formats. This is what I also based my decision on keeping my ALAC files. If ALAC is such a problem in the ripped world of Roon then why aren’t there guidelines to this? In the official Roon documentation, I see no qualification on ALAC files. In this thread, experienced users recommend dbpoweramp which is great. I’ll get a copy. But why is this not documented in Roon. Roon recommends hardware why not software ripping or converting.

I still have buy software, install it, test it out, create an implementation plan, a validation plan and a backout in case something goes wrong. This is not a trivial task.

Yes, ALAC and FLAC are both lossless, so either, if ripped securely is a bitperfect copy of the CD. I don’t use ALAC files, but there are many Roon users who do, and have no issues with their ALAC files. So this is not a general Roon problem with ALAC files. You don’t need to buy any software to convert your ALAC to ALAC files. The free iTunes will do this. And there are other programs as well I’ve read about. I’m a windows user, and for free with windows, I’d use foobar2000 to convert all the old ALACs to new ALACs.

But as suggested by others earlier, I’d send @support a sample copy of an ALAC file that shows as corrupted so they can examine it and possibly have either a solution or an explanation.

Who said ALAC is such a problem? I used to have a bunch of ALAC files but have since converted them to FLAC. I didn’t have any problems with them. I just decided that FLAC was a better lossless container because it supported checksums.

What you don’t know is why Roon thinks there is a problem with some of your ALAC files. Get the Roon guys to look at a few of your problem ALAC files to find what Roon does not like about them. Either there is a real problem or Roon has a bug. Either way the answer would be good to have.

1 Like

I had a similar situation when I first started using Roon, but it was also happening in JRiver. ALAC files that were converted from FLAC using the media human audio converter would come up as corrupted in Roon, but not in Jriver. Using a different program caused ALAC files to be fine in Roon but corrupt in JRiver. I have no idea why this would happen, but XLD and dbPoweramp on MAC are the only two programs that I have not had trouble with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.