Andybob - thanks for the reply. Before I reply to you, I need to provide an update…
IT WORKS NOW!
My last post was mistaken. After having reinstalled everything, and performing the tests I mentioned, apparently I neglected to ensure that my DSD Playback Strategy was set to DSD over PCM. In fact it was still in the default setting of Convert to PCM. So THAT’s what was not working with DSF128 files. Having seen that mistake, I’ve set it to DSD over PCM, and I’m listening to RoonServer play a DSF128 file as I type. Awesome! And sorry about the prior bad information.
Question is… why did this not work yesterday?
Andybob - in reply to your positing that I might have been toggling Exclusive Mode or Event Driven Mode, i really don’t think I did that until long after the problem started, when - in desperation - I began trying any/everything. Granted I’m operating on memory, but I REALLY don’t think I messed with that until later. As I recall, the events happened like this…
- I tried playing a newly added DSF128 track.
- The playback on my Roon remote froze. Not Roon, just the playback. It would not play.
- I went into Settings, and tried changing Max Sample rate. I THINK it was in it’s default state of Disabled, but am not certain.
- Then I changed the Max DSD Sample Rate. As before, I think - but don’t know - this was in the default Disabled state.
- I went to look for the DSF128 file, and it was gone.
- I went looking for my DSF64 files - also gone.
- Then I put the above settings changes back, but the files remained gone.
- Then I started tinkering with anything DSD related in the hopes of causing the magically disappearing files to reappear, including toggling Exclusive and Event Driven Modes.
As before, it was a pretty bizarre episode.
Musical Fidelity’s support is somewhat thin in the US. This I know from experience. But there is another “device” that I could try…
This whole episode has been on the “device” that in the Roon Settings Audio tab is listed as “Musical Fidelity MX DAC USB 2.0 Audio”. But there’s another device listed, called “Musical Fidelity MX DAC ASIO Driver”. Having read of the sonic benefits build into Windows 10 WSAPI, I’ve stayed away from that.
It is my hope that you guys will get this software rock solid stable. If there is more info I can provide - or anything I can test - to help you support your progress getting there, please let me know.
Thanks for the help. I’m working now. And backing up.
PS - Should you be wondering, I’m rock solid certain that the DSD Playback Strategy was set to Convert to PCM yesterday when this trouble started. I think.