All kinds of problems with keeping things set up

Roon Core Machine

I am on the initial two week trial, trying to run the core on an imac with an m1 chip (8ghz, 512 gb ssd). I am also running roon on a macbook (m1 as well). Streaming to a Bluesound Node. The core keeps logging out even though I have the imac set to not go to sleep or shut down, and when I logged back in it said I needed to log out of the core as I had another one set up, though I haven’t done that.
In addition, I have thousands of flac files on an external ssd that are reading as corrupt that I’ve never had issues with playing on any other system, but they read as unable to play in roon, though it categorizes them and in some instances even downloads the album art.
I really want to make this work as if this is operator error this program could make my life easier but the constant logging out (though I have rock solid internet) is a problem.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

It’s most likely not a fundamental Roon issue but somehow a setup issue though I don’t know yet what’s wrong.

How is everything connected together, ethernet or wifi? Please post details about the whole network setup (that’s what the “Networking Gear & Setup Details” in the posting template is for :slight_smile: )

Can you please post a screenshot of Roon > Settings > About, maybe best from the iMac and the Macbook

The external SSD is connected to the iMac? Can you post a screenshot of Settings > Storage, and of where it says that the tracks are reading as corrupt?

Stabbing in the dark so far, but let’s start with that unless someone else has a better idea

This is from the iMac. The external SSD is attached to the iMac. This is what I was wanting the core to be, and how it was initially set up. Everything is wifi; the Bluesound Node is ethernet connected to my router coming into the apartment.

Thanks.

Wifi can be hit and miss. It may work for endpoints and remotes (until it doesn’t because the neighbor bought a new microwave) but Roon strongly recommends having the Core on ethernet. Not sure if it’s the issue, but if you can, I would recommend a temporary ethernet cable for the Core at least to rule it out.

I suppose the Node is seen and enabled as Roon Ready in Roon > Settings > Audio? Don’t upgrade its firmware by the way, the latest BlueOS firmware update broke Roon and Bluesound is working on a fix.

Though none of that explains well why the Core keeps logging out. Even if it went to sleep or streaming stopped, it should stay logged in at least. Nor does it explain the SSD reading issue.

We have seen many random networking issues solved by switching the DNS settings on the router from often dodgy ISP-provided DNS services to Cloudflare. And often the affected users first didn’t see why it would help, but then it did :slight_smile: So in the absence of better ideas for now I’d start with that.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

2 Likes

Could you post the same screenshot from the MacBook, i.e. Roon → Settings → About?

1 Like

I’m gonna look into this now. The Bluesound is showing as connected to Roon so that shouldn’t be an issue; I can play, from time to time, from the MacBook to the Bluesound Node.

The Node seems to be good then, I think if it breaks it disappears for good. Just don’t accept a firmware update in the BS app for the time being until BS fixes it :slight_smile:

I think that rules out the possibility that the MacBook is also running a core, and I know you mentioned that that wasn’t the case, but it’s easy to misconfigure Roon when you’re first starting out.

At this stage I’m puzzled as to why Roon would think you have more than one core. Did you just install the main Roon app (for core and control) or are you using Roon Server (core) and Roon (for control)?

1 Like

You need to delete your email address from this image.

I had installed the Roon Core on the iMac and the regular Roon software on the MacBook. Should I just uninstall and reinstall them all? I still have the account.

So I guess that’s the Roon Server installer on the iMac, the thing without the GUI? This should be just fine and less prone to misconfiguration. (It would be possible to install the regular Roon software on both and set up the one on the iMac as Core, but still use the GUI on the iMac as well. This would have more potential for misconfiguration).

I am stumped.

Thanks. I didn’t catch it.

1 Like

The screenshot (of Settings → About) would suggest that Roon is also installed on the iMac.

Indeed, I was figuring that after I wrote my post and then got distracted :slight_smile: So I am confused by

I guess the situation is that the regular Roon is installed on both (which is of course fine in principle) and just the iMac was intended to be configured as the Core.

Therefore, I would still like to see @anon52877786’s screenshot of Settings > About from the Macbook as well, as I requested at the start and as you (Dave) also requested later

I deleted and reinstalled the apps on both the imac and the macbook. It now shows “Roon Core” on the imac…which I guess is what I’m supposed to be doing? I’m really confused. Should I have server on here?

You have two options:

1. Install regular Roon on both iMac and Macbook. Regular Roon provides both a control GUI app and the Core (server) software. In this case you can control Roon both from the iMac and the Macbook. And you can choose to run the Core on either. You need to take care that you configure only one of them as the Core.

2. Install Roon Server on the iMac and regular Roon on the Macbook. The server runs without a visible GUI. You can control Roon only on the Macbook.
    (Has the advantage that it uses less resources because it runs no GUI. So if you never want to control Roon when sitting at the iMac you can take advantage of that)

In either case, if you start the regular Roon app on the MacBook for the first time, there should be a configuration screen where you can choose between options like this (stolen screenshot from another thread):

The option at the top, Find my Roon Core (Nucleus, ROCK, etc.), looks for the Core on another machine, in this case on the iMac. Click this to configure the iMac as the Core.

In the lower option, Set up a Roon Core on this Mac, “this Mac” refers to the machine you are sitting at, so this would be the Macbook in this scenario. Don’t click it, because you want the iMac to be the Core.

(Ignore the option at the very bottom, Configure Roon OS devices on your network, this is not for you. It’s for accessing the admin interface of Roon Nucleus and ROCK only)

(If you run regular Roon, and not the Roon Server, on the iMac as well, then the GUI app there would show the same options, but the meaning of the options would be reversed. Then “this Mac” would refer to the iMac and you would click this to configure the iMac as the Core)

1 Like

Roon works with one machine being setup as a server that should be left on. Other PCs can then have Roon loaded as a client to the main server. Sounds like there are a couple of issues, but, making sure there is only one core running is the first step.

When you install Roon you have an option to use it as the Core. If you install Roon on a second computer, you need to make sure that you choose to connect to the other core instead of “use this pc” or you will in effect have setup two different cores, which is what sound like has happened.

On the PC you don’t want as the core, uninstall Roon. Make sure Roon is running on the PC that is going to be your server. Then re-install Roon. During setup, you will be given the option to choose the other PC as the server. Do so and finish the setup.

1 Like

Hey @anon52877786,

I have been notified that you’re still running into issues here. I can assure you, this issue is very solvable, and most likely has a simple solution buried in the noise.

Can you give us a status update? @Suedkiez has done an awesome job mapping out your options. Ultimately, your choice will depend on if you’d like the ability to browse Roon across both your mac devices.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

I appreciate y’all’s help but Roon just isn’t fully baked enough for my needs. I need something that works, especially for the cost. I’m going to ask, again, that my account be deleted.

The forum account won’t be deleted to preserve forum integrity but you can have the user name changed/anonymized by posting in