Allo Boss DAC review

@dkdkdk Did you ever do this? I’m thinking of doing the same thing with my original Boss DAC and curious about others’ experiences running a separate power supply to the Boss DAC (especially considering how easy it is to do on the Boss 1.2).

I see the USBridge case is available. Any news on the cases for Boss? I want to purchase both together with a Digione case at the same time to save on shipping.

@Tony_Reimann
we are still working on finalizing the boss and digione player cases
production will still take a little while, especially since China is preparing for their new year

will keep you guys posted.
regards

Want to make clear…DOP is not supported on the Boss Dac , (dac ic is not suporting dop or DSD)

Watching this thread, ready to buy my aluminium case :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes .
China is coming back online next week.
will update here!

Hello

I’m quite interested in the Allo boss 1.2 but I need the metal case, plastic cases have an habit of… Let’s say that between the cats and the rest I cracked a few :joy:

Is there a way to reserve one or to have an alert the moment they are available ?

(I’m French, in Paris btw, seems you have a representative that is also a local :wink:, but I found no shops selling the Allo boss here…)

Hi, audiophonics.fr sells the Allo Boss in France :slight_smile:
And allo.com too ^^

Saw both sites, still waiting for the metal case :grin:

And audiophonics does not have a shop in Paris, alas

That’s why I’d would love to pre-reserve one :blush:

hi to all
stock is being made now that china is back to work.
there will be stock, not to worry.

i will announce it here once available online.
please consider early April as ETA.

regards
Andre

1 Like

@ALLO_audio_boards @allo.com I understand you will be offering aluminum cases for the DigiOne and USBridge Players. Will you offer the same for the Boss Player as well?

@Richard_Robbins

now in stock on our website are:
USbridge case
PAINO 2.1 player case (Sparky + KALI + PIANO 2.1 DAC)

coming soon:
BOSS player case
Digione player case

you can see pictures a few posts up :wink:

thank you

1 Like

Any news about BOSS aluminium case?
it’s possible to get silver version?

hello,
we have modified the cases to be compatible with the B+ model.
production is underway.

will update again once ready to ship.

I hope shortly!
Thank you

Qingming festival just passed, so now there are no further delays.
April is the month!

Just got my Boss DAC earlier this week, and after 40 hours or so, it’s sounding really good. However, I’m occasionally getting a slight pop at the beginning of some tracks. Is this normal?

Mine was purchased via Amazon from Chicago Electronic, the official US distributor. I’m using it on a RPi3 running DietPi and Roon Bridge. (Shairport is also installed, but I’m listening through Roon Bridge.) Tracks are a mix of local AAC, local ALAC, Tidal redbook, and Tidal Masters. The more that changes about the compression, the bit depth, and sample rate, the more pronounced the pop.

I’ve had mine for about two months and agree, it sounds great! I haven’t noticed any popping. Is it noticeable on speakers or just headphones? I’m asking to get a sense for how loud it is – headphones tend to make very tiny things much more noticeable.

Oh, and I forgot: my setup is pretty much exactly what you describe. RPi3 first, now RPi3+ with DietPi and Roon Bridge.

It is mostly just noticeable through headphones, and it seems to be less noticeable (but still there) when connected via wired Ethernet.

Just for comparison, I put my Pi with the IQaudIO DAC+ back into my headphone rig, and it makes a similar (perhaps less noticeable) pop/tick at the beginning of tracks too. Maybe it’s something with the HAT DACs, because I’ve never noticed it with any USB DAC.

Oh well, the Boss will make a fine Roon endpoint for my living room system, but I’ll stick with the Dragonfly Red for headphones.