Allo DigiOne board

Hmmm. Interesting thought. I would think not. But who knows. Not my area of expertise.

Got to love Hans, but comparing Ethernet-to-USB bridges to the S/PDIF DigiOne is a bit out of bounds, I think ā€“ thatā€™s more about USB vs S/PDIF than about the DigiOne.

But as far as S/PDIF goes ā€“ Iā€™ve reintroduced the DigiOne to my main set this weekend and was pleasantly surprised: @allo.com truly have done a marvellous job here. Compared to the Node2, the lower end appears to have a bit more definition and subtlety (rather apparent with double bass in well recorded jazz trio settings).

Thereā€™s no trace ā€˜lacking bassā€™ here ā€“ compared to other S/PDIF sources, presence is about the same. Just a little better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ā€¦I was bored Saturday morning, so I tried one other combination that I never would have thought to try. Long before the uRendu Sonore had a line of USB to I2S converters that is compatible with PS Audio DACs. The reason I pulled it out of my system ~5 years ago was that I decided to go the route of audio grade USB card and a custom JPLAY system with dedicated (battery PS) USB. Back then I had the PS Audio PWD. Then upgraded to the PWD II, and then the DS DAC. Once upgraded to the PWD II (back then) I felt that the USB on the PWD MK II was much better, and not worth all the fuss. Fast forward about 5 years. I took a look inside the USB to I2S, and it is built well, it has a nice toroidal transformer and a nicely built linear power supply. So what I did was used a combination of Sound Coat and Dynamat Extreme damping as well as StillPoints EMI/RFI paper and another product by 3M that does the same but I cannot recall the product name. Between the SoundCoat and Dynamat I have added almost 2 lbs of damping and EMI/RFI chielding to the Sonore USB to I2S chassis. So how did I configure it?

I used the microRendu to do the conversion from Ethernet to USB, then the USB to I2S to go to HDMI I2S for my PS Audio DAC. The uRendu is powered via Uptone Audio LPS1 and the I2S converter is already a linear supply. Both of these are plugged into a separately grounded circuit. I wasnā€™t sure that this combo would even work, but it does, and the sound is nothing short of spectacular. So I have moved the Allo DigiOne to my office system, where it connects into a Geek Pulse DAC, and sounds MUCh MUCH better than USB. So win winā€¦ I may start to play around with different HDMI cables for the USB to I2S converter, but the PS audio cable is very good. Again, I had this stuff laying around so figured, why not.

Hi All, I searched this thread for ā€œRoonā€, but nothing found accept the ad at the topā€¦ so, I hope Iā€™m not dragging up something already answered.
Anyway, I have just ordered an Allo DigiOne to replace my Digi+ Proā€¦ Before it arrives, Iā€™m doing my homework so Iā€™m all prepared and ready to goā€¦ and Iā€™m struggling to find out how to get the DigiOne to appear as a ā€˜Roon Readyā€™ device in Roon Core?

HifiBerry provide a Roon image which made it nice n easyā€¦ but Iā€™m not finding the same for Allo? ā€¦I dont want to use shareport (Airplay) service provided with Volumio etc as that does down-samplingā€¦

How do you guys have it working with Roon?

Thanks, Shane

Check out DietPi, they have an ā€œAlloā€ image which is very easy to install: http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317

1 Like

Rene

If you want a(nother) lovely double bass track to test things try Both Sides Now from Caecillie Norby & Lars Danielsson - an ACT release Title track, also happens to be the first track.

Aside from sound quality the track itself, indeed the whole album, is lovely

Phil

Have a look at RoPieee. It supports Alloā€™s DigiOne out of the box.

I would second this, the Allo image works fine with my DigiOne.

Thanks, This looks good

Cool, Iā€™ll check this out too - Thanks

I posted a picture already previously, but now I can share a picture of my final and finished DigiOne Player (only a little bit isolating tape is missing):

4 Likes

I really like this.

I am currently running a RPi3/Digione/7" Touchscreen, but not in as nice a case.

How are you managing power in this setup?

Thanks.

I had a Pifi Digi+ which I bought sometime back that hasnā€™t work with the Dietpi. I kindoff gave up thinking that I may have a faulty HAT. Today I downloaded Ropieee and tried and it works beautifully out of the box without much setup (I just need to go to the config page to select the Hifiberry Digi+ configuration). Thank you Ropieee.

In the meantime, I have ordered Allo Digione. Canā€™t wait for it to arrive and try it with Ropieee.

1 Like

I did get a bump in SQ by replacing the iPower with a 25W 5V 3.5A LPS ($70), and my RCA cable with a Blue Jeans BNC coax ($20). I bought a second DigiOne for a small system using AudioEngine A5+ speakers where I also heard an improvement going from the iPower to a re-purposed 5V 3A computer (switching) PSU, so I think this board is happier with more than 2.5A.

Hi everyone.
Allo boasts on his website that DigiOne has 0.6ps jitter at the spdif output but they used WM8805 spdif transceiver which has 50ps jitter at spdif output.
Could someone explain me how it possible?
Thanks

The output of the spidif stream is fed to a flipflop. The flip fliop is driver by NDK clocks and we measured the jitter at 0.6ps at the buffer.

Therefore the spidif stream has the jitter of the clocks.

Ok, I understood, thanks for the answer.
Best regards.

hi, can you provide the link to the 25W 5V 3.5A LPS you bought? iā€™m interested. thank you.

1 Like

Anyone know of any nice metal or wood cases for the digione?

Anybody know if any Hifiberry cases will fit?