Allo DigiOne board

Which Linear PSU did you feed the DigiOne with in C?

It is a simple one I picked up off ebay. Heavy as it has a large transformer.

It came with the North American voltage and cord, although you specify this when ordering. Came with the micro-USB power cord. Voltage is displayed and it sits at 5.02V consistently.

As a comparison, we have a number of wall outlets that have USB power outlets. These are so “loud” that we can’t plug any audio devices into them. Only charging mobile devices. The wall wart is better than these, but the linear is quieter still.

Mine is arriving this evening. I will connect it using RCA-RCA to my Opus XS 21 Coax input. I hope it will work great. You are suggesting to use Ethernet connection not Wifi? Any reasons behind this?

Most common thought is to use ethernet, as it less sensitive for disruptions as compared to wifi.
(wife and kids streaming video, neighbours using wifi on the same frequency etc.)
Another reason mentioned is that wifi might affect the quality of your audio signal in a negative way, but I have no experience with this.

Thanks @Rudy_G. And what is the bandwidth needed? Let’s assume I have the local PCM 24/96 file on my PC that is Roon Core. Now I want to stream it to AlloDigiOne? Is the stream somehow compressed by Roon protocol? With regular FLAC it would be around 2 Mbit/s. But Roon is probably using different format?

Blockquote
wifi might affect the quality of your audio signal in

Was this measured somehow, maybe by Allo? Or we assume it just might be the case, and we just want to be on the safe side (even if we cannot measure and hear), which is also fair approach.

Update: DigiOne Player arrived. Works great, I am really really glad I bought it. Nice little device, very easy to configure, sounds very well. With standard 44.1/16 it sounds as good as my CD player Opus 21 transport. I cannot hear any difference, Well done Allo.
I did only three changes in the configuration of Allo DietPi: changed the sound card to DigiOne (this I believe should be done by Allo be default at the factory when someone is buying DigiOne Player. The other two options, just in case: disable HDMI and enable PSU quite mode (reduced processor speed).
I wonder if buying a LPSU will make any difference? Probably not, but in Poland I can buy pretty decent and well priced from Tomanek so maybe I will give it a try.

1 Like

you can attach a hard drive to the pi, and control it over wifi without the “streaming” hassle

Roon is sending out the raw, decoded PCM bitstream. This has the advantage that your endpoint does not need to do any decoding itself and can be very lightweight, but it takes about double the bandwidth.

More importantly, there’s latency to consider. You can probably send a 4K videostream successfully over a bad WiFi connection thanks to aggressive buffering, but RAAT uses small buffers to allow for clocking corrections from the endpoint/DAC and in situations where endpoints are grouped.

On-board, antennaless WiFi on a Pi is notoriously bad, made even worse by applying cases and HATs like the DigiOne. A USB WiFi plug with antenna is better; I use and Airport Express as wireless bridge to great success.

Thanks a lot! I run it over Ethernet, and will keep it like this based on your experience :slight_smile:

I have one more question, on the DigiOne board there is MORNSUN IB0505LS-1W - Regulated DC/DC Converter. Mine looks like not fixed very firmly, it is positioned even at some angle. Maybe it was hit hardly during the transport or maybe it is how it should be. If something would be wrong with this part, how it would manifest? The device will not work, or the output will be lower then in spec?

PS.
How to properly shut it down when not in use? Do I have to shut it down using ssh/web interface? Or is it safe just to cut of the power?

1 Like

My guess would be that if anything serious was up, it would not work. But I would shoot a PM with photo to @allo.com to make sure.

Little SBCs like this are meant to run 24/7. They’re very low energy as well.

If you must turn it off, the only safe way is ‘sudo poweroff’ over SSH (or a similar option in the web interface if available). Yanking the power cord could theoretically lead to a corrupt OS on your SD card. DietPI runs everything in RAM, so chances are slim – but hey. :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it stream twice? To the core and back?

i’m not sure about that when using ROON, but I use volumio and I play my music directly from the hard drive attached to the pi. in my personal experience I can tell better sound and also no need to deal with ethernet cable/router

Interesting. Many folks also want to get the spinning disk of the HD away from the endpoint.

I found after about 25 hours it only gets better. Also, on the plastic case, these http://herbiesaudiolab.net/bbootie.htm and a weight on top of case really makes a pleasing difference. Relaxes and refines the top end. I really love this little wonder.

@Bill_Soukoreff can you elaborate? Those feet on the bottom? What kind and how much weight on top?

Yes, the booties you can order them with adhesive backs. Or you can use 3 tender feet if you really want to go crazy and need some height under the unit. Any weight on top will work, but I have a set of Mapleshade Hemispherical Heavy Hats sitting around. So I used the 11/2 lb weight. These are nice because they don’t block the vents. You can hear the difference immediately.

With the new metal cases, the weight may not be needed.

@Bill_Soukoreff why would the metal case make the same difference as 1.5 pounds of weight on the top? What’s happening?

Damping. I bought the weights initially for my DAC. But there was no difference. The heavier aluminium case may provide enough damping for the Digione. But I don’t have one yet, so who knows. It’s pretty easy to test it out for yourself. No need for any fancy weights.

Some argue metal cases may even be worse. Who knows. As with any tweaks, I like to try them if they don’t cost much and then decide for myself.

I think with the Digione, it really is apparent. But of course you can over dampen as well and such the energy and life out of the music. I never liked tube dampers on my amp.

BlueTack. Old audiophile trick. I first seen it in commercial product when bought Living Voice speakers. You can try, and if it will not work there are tons of different usage for Blue Tac in home or office :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi all,

first of all, I’m absolute happy with my DigiOne connected via BNC to my Chord 2qute DAC (best Raspberry Pi HAT audio board so far). Because I’m so happy, I want to optimize everything 
 including the length of the BNC-cable between DigiOne and DAC (remember this). For this, I need to identify the rise-time of the digital signal. Cool: in case of DigiOne no problem (I assumed), because there are diagrams available for download. If I check the document “DIGIONE-SPDIF-OUT-BNC.pdf” everything is fine:

• I can see 6.14 MHz signal, which represents a 96 kHz stereo audio signal (16 or 24 bit doesn’t matter, see SPDIF)
  • 500 mV

But I’m more interested about the signal on the DAC side, so the document “BNC-OUT-Cable-Side.pdf” should be the right one (?). After opening this document I was very disappointed:

• approx. 1.4 MHz
  • 340 mV (out of SPDIF specification?, really a 75 ohm cable?, really a 75 ohm resistor?)

Here are some question @Allo:

• what kind of audio signal should this 1.4 MHz data signal be 
 44.1 kHz mono ?
  • normally NO SPDIF audio signal has such a low frequency
  • does it really show the output of the DigiOne or the output of a data signal generator
  • why does Allo not show corresponding diagrams, ALL with the same signal (96 kHz -> 6.144 Mhz, like “DIGIONE-SPDIF-OUT-BNX.pdf” ?
  • or even better, why not the “worst-case”: 192 kHz -> 12.288 MHz ?
  • tipp: use a 2m BNC-cable, because the signal has typically a speed of 0.2m/nanosecond in a RG59-BNC-cable, that the “rise-time area” is shown without any reflections :wink:

Sure 
 these diagrams will be not as “perfect” as the “DIGIONE-SPDIF-OUT-BNC.pdf”, but they will allow to measure the rise-time of the signal to optimize the length of the BNC-cable, which allows the DAC to better/easier identify the SPDIF signal.

Best regards
Tom

1 Like